Skip to main content

Sag Harbor Eyes Replacing a Dock

Thu, 01/02/2025 - 10:45
“We have almost 50 boats on a waiting list,” Chris Duryea, a Sag Harbor Village harbormaster, said of the village's dock on West Water Street.
Denis Hartnett

A dock on West Water Street next to the Beacon restaurant in Sag Harbor has “reached the end of its lifespan,” according to Chris Duryea, who with his fellow harbormaster, Robert Bori, at a village board meeting on Dec. 10 presented a plan to completely replace it.

One reason is the need for more space. “We have almost 50 boats on a waiting list,” Mr. Duryea said, adding that the planned replacement would add about 15 new slips, bringing the total “to 78 from the 63 we have now.”

The focus is on creating more spaces for smaller boats, under 24 feet. “The slips start at 11 to 16 feet and go up to about 25 to 26 feet,” Mr. Duryea said. The “biggest that could fit in there is a 30-foot vessel.”

The plan also includes building a new floating dock to replace the current dock on pylons. The biggest change would come from removing mooring cables, which Mr. Duryea said are “not fully utilized” and have drawn complaints.

In a couple of instances, Mr. Duryea said, “people jumped out of their boat during the summer, and they cut their feet on rocks in the water.” While there is a waitlist to get into the slips, there are actually vacancies in the cable area.

“It’s not appealing,” Mayor Thomas Gardella chimed in. He supports the replacement, and brought up the possibility of adding a bathroom and shower to the dock area.

A feasibility study and conceptual drawings for a full renovation have already been provided to the village by L.K. McLean Associates, consultants. The work would begin in November 2025.

The village will have to go through the regular bidding process, and the board’s Jeanne Kane and Aidan Corish will be looking into grants for the project. The board has not ruled out the possibility of a bond, and Deputy Mayor Ed Haye believes it could be a “self-sustaining project” because of the fees associated with the dock.

The entire board voiced approval for the idea. The proposal is to be back before the board at its next meeting, the date of which had not been set as of press time.

Villages

McCarron and Sherlock Wed in Sag Harbor

Benjamin Knute McCarron and Colleen Elizabeth Sherlock were married on Sept. 20 at St. Andrew Catholic Church in Sag Harbor. They celebrated afterward with their families and friends at the Bridgehampton Tennis and Surf Club. 

Nov 27, 2025

It’s Official, Gladstone Is New LTV Director

The board of directors of LTV, East Hampton Town’s public access television, has formally appointed Josh Gladstone to the role of executive director, succeeding Michael Clark, who resigned in July. Mr. Gladstone has been the interim director since then.

Nov 27, 2025

Item of the Week: Crew List of the Bark Mary Gardiner

This 1851 crew list for the customs collector in Sag Harbor identifies the members of Capt. David Smith’s last whaling voyage.

Nov 27, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.