Skip to main content

Two Dogs Saved From House Fire

Sun, 09/01/2019 - 12:52

 Trail-walker spotted flames on Old Northwest Road in East Hampton

Firefighters arrived at a house on Old Northwest Road in East Hampton to find a fire on the deck that spread up the outside of the house to the second floor.
Michael Heller

East Hampton firefighters saved two dogs from inside a house Sunday afternoon after fire broke out on the deck, causing heavy smoke  as it spread into the house. 

A person walking on a trail reported a house on fire in the area of 225 Old Northwest Road at 12:24. p.m., Chief Gerard Turza Jr. said. Emergency dispatchers then received additional calls about the blaze, and the chief requested tankers from Sag Harbor, Springs, and Amagansett. The Sag Harbor Fire Department's rapid intervention team was called in as well, in case firefighters needed to be rescued. 

Old Northwest Road is "an area of concern for us," Chief Turza said. There are large houses, mostly set back from the road, in a sparsely populated neighborhood with a lack of public water, he explained. 

Firefighters found flames on the back deck extending up the side of the house to the second story. The heat had broken the first and second-floor windows and the fire was starting to spread into the house, the chief said. It did not appear that anyone was inside. 

"While searching the residence in zero visibility smoke conditions, firefighters found and removed two dogs," Chief Turza said. Firefighters had no indication that there were dogs inside, as they were not barking. During a primary search for fire and for any victims, a firefighter came across one of the dogs. Then, he found a puppy in a crate. 

"If they went unnoticed for a few minutes longer they probably would’ve died of smoke inhalation," said the chief.  "Once they were brought outside in fresh air they were fine." The dogs' owners, who were renting the house, arrived soon after. 

Firefighters made "an aggressive attack" on the flames and prevented the fire from spreading further, the chief said. A small pocket of flames had extended into the basement, but was quickly extinguished, he said, adding that he canceled the call for help from neighboring departments as firefighters were able to knock down the blaze quickly. 

The fire did not appear to be suspicious. The East Hampton Town fire marshal’s office is investigating the cause. 

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.