Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Thu, 09/17/2020 - 09:46


Someone was reported "knocking on windows" in the small hours of Saturday at the St. Michael's senior apartments complex.


East Hampton Town

At the Khanh Sports shop on Montauk Highway, an employee called police Sunday afternoon to say that a woman had been wandering about the store, "just browsing," for several hours. Figuring she intended to steal something, he asked her to leave.


East Hampton Village 

After someone reported an erratic driver at the Woods Lane-Main Street intersection last week, the driver reportedly chased the caller, yelling "Follow me to the beach and I will kick your ass!" Police classified the incident under "road rage."

A query about a car parked facing the wrong direction at the intersection of James and Jefferys Lane was answered when the driver returned to the car and explained she'd been helping a baby turtle across the road.

On Saturday morning, an officer calmed down a 26-year-old woman and her employer, who were screaming at each other on Railroad Avenue. According to the report, the woman was angry after being told there was no work for her that day. She asked to be reimbursed for the gas money spent to drive "all the way out here." He refused, and when she began arguing, he grabbed her cellphone and smashed it on the ground. After police intervened, he agreed to pay for a new phone. 



A black and blue Trek mountain bike was the target of the hamlet's latest bicycle theft, stolen overnight from Sean Harris of Richmond Avenue on Sept. 7. It was last seen in the Surf Club parking lot, in the bed of his pickup truck.

There was an argument at a Main Street store on Sept. 9 after one shopper accused another of not wearing a mask, then asked him if he was a Trump supporter, and then, according to police, said "he hopes he dies and that he hopes his 7-month-old child gets the virus." He then allegedly took a shovel and threatened to hit the man if he came near. Officers separated them and told the angry man to keep his distance.

Last Thursday afternoon at the 7-Eleven, police looked into a report of customers and employees not wearing masks, but everyone appeared to be in compliance.

Someone intentionally keyed a 2010 Jeep Wrangler parked at 88 South Elmwood Avenue on Friday morning. Detectives have a possible lead, and are investigating.

Later that evening, at the Essex Street skate park, a group of youths were reportedly "screaming, yelling, and being rude." They were gone when police arrived.


Sag Harbor

An Uber driver called police from West Water Street at 3 a.m. on Sept. 7 to say that a woman had fallen asleep in back of his car and would not wake up. An officer awakened her by way of a "sternum rub." She told police she had been drinking in Montauk, and they saw her safely back to her boat.

Jack Rainey of Eastville Avenue left his car unlocked overnight on Sept. 7, and in the morning found his bag of golf clubs, valued at $4,000, gone.

Someone threw a Budweiser beer bottle at Mary Ellen Bartley's gray Subaru on Sept. 9, breaking the back window and costing $1,000 in repairs. It happened at 96 Hampton Street.

A caller that day alerted police to a person walking on Main Street wearing all black: black mask, black clothes, black backpack, which the caller found suspicious. The report does not say whether police investigated.

Last Thursday around midnight, a Bayview Drive woman asked police to check her house, both inside and out, as the rear door was unlocked and her mother had heard "whispering" from the backyard. All appeared normal.

Also that night, a man was reported to be throwing things at a window on West Water Street and yelling "Margaret!" over and over. He explained he'd just returned from the city and was staying with his girlfriend, but needed to get her attention since she was not answering her phone. The girlfriend confirmed this, but said she had not received any calls.

A woman was reported lying under a car at 5 a.m. Saturday, at Jermain and Oakland Avenues. Police found her on the ground near the passenger door, unhurt but crying. Her boyfriend told police she'd drunk half a bottle of tequila and was "annoying people where they live, so he took her for a drive." She was transported to Southampton Hospital to be treated for severe intoxication.

On Saturday night, after cleaning out her uncle's attic on Division Street, a woman thought it best to deliver to police headquarters the assorted ammunition she'd discovered.



Jose Ramirez arrived at his President Street residence late Friday night after work to be accosted in the driveway by another tenant, who, according to the redacted report, "put him in a full body lock from behind" as he was moving a bicycle. A physical altercation, lasting about 10 seconds, ensued. Police said neither man was hurt.


Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.