Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Wed, 07/29/2020 - 18:19


When Melissa Steele of Montauk Highway heard her dog growl around midnight on July 19, it struck her as unusual behavior for her pet. She walked into the backyard and found a bathroom screen cut and removed, with the bathroom window open. She called police and her boyfriend, Michael Smith, who came home. Redacted sections of the police report indicate something "caused both subjects to be annoyed and alarmed." Police found Mr. Smith's car in the driveway with a rear tire slashed. The couple both said they had no problems with anyone and no idea who would target them.


East Hampton Village

A 17-year-old Ocean Avenue resident told police on July 20 that an 18-year-old had accosted him at Main Beach, saying he was "ready whenever you are," and that he should "come down and talk" if he had a problem. The 17-year-old told police he thought the boy might have issues with his friends and might be mistaking him for someone else. He did not feel threatened, he said, and just wanted the incident on file in case it happened again.

It was reported that same afternoon that Naturopathica, a spa on Montauk Highway, was giving facials, in violation of the Pause act. The manager told police they were aware of the rules and said the spa had not given any facials.

Last Thursday afternoon reports of youths setting off fireworks in the Stop and Shop parking lot turned out to be two boys pushing shopping carts around. Police told one of the 14-year-olds to return the carts to their area in front of the store, which he did.

Later that day, a 93-year-old resident of Buell Lane called police to complain of a bright porch light coming from the front of his neighbor's house. Law enforcement checked out the light and deemed it "a  legal porch light."

On Saturday, also on Buell Lane, police responded to a social distancing complaint. There were 30 guests present, whereas the limit is now 50, so there were technically no violations, although officers asked the homeowner if the guests could be more spread out and wear masks. She said she would do her best.



On July 16, Marc Jaffe reported he had last seen his wife's blue Diamondback bicycle the day before at a bike rack near their house on Fort Pond Road, the same day and location when Andrew Disimone's bright orange Pantera bike was stolen.


Sag Harbor

At night on July 19, while having dinner at Back Page Cafe on Division Street with her family, Leslie Binder was harassed by a white male, according to police. He was escorted out twice for creating a disturbance, and when he entered the restaurant a third time, charging toward her table, screaming profanities, and knocking over $800 worth of food and drinks (possibly by accident). Ms. Binder and her family, concerned for their safety, got up and left.

To add to the list of Range Rover thefts over the past few months, Marc Siden of Lincoln Street awoke on July 21 to find that his black 2019 vehicle was no longer in his driveway. A tracker app showed it had been taken at 4:54 a.m. and driven 124.5 miles to Bellview, N.J. Police were notified and the car was successfully recovered in Bellview.

The day after, also on Lincoln Street, Chris Robinson found his 2017 Range Rover unlocked and rummaged through. He told police it could have happened anytime since July 19. Nothing was missing, but the right front fender was scratched.

With less obvious motivation but more visible result, Josiah Schiavoni found "a large amount of food" on the hood of his car Friday. It had been parked from 10 to 5 that day on Long Island Avenue.

On Friday night a husband and wife reported their car missing from Washington Street. Armed with the description and registration, police found it on the wharf.

Graffiti on the Bay Street gazebo and nearby storage unit was observed  on the morning of July 21. Police said they were "pictures of some kind, but not very good."

After her daughter was turned away from the Sag Harbor Variety Store for lack of a mask, Kate Poplite called police, who advised her that a private store has the right to deny access to customers.

Last Thursday afternoon a man tripped on dock lines while trying to climb into his inflatable boat moored at Wharf Street, and fell into the water. He was unable to get out, so someone in another inflatable towed him to the beach. He complained of injury to his upper left arm.

At the same time that day, a woman approached a group standing outside Corner Closet on Main Street and asked why they were not wearing masks. They became irate and walked off, coughing on her as they went. Based on a description, police caught up to them. One man said he felt he was being attacked and claimed the woman had sprayed Lysol in their direction.

Outside 2A Main Street, around midnight on Saturday, a father approached a man in a white T-shirt and asked him not to smoke around his children, which was not taken well. According to police, the smoker replied, "Let's go now. I'll kick your ass."



Gilberto Ruiz was waiting to receive money so he could pay back a man to whom he owed over $500, according to a July 11 police report. The  man, whose name was withheld, had texted Mr. Ruiz on June 6 and reportedly went to his house on Fort Pond Boulevard, threatening to fight him. Mr. Ruiz said he could pay him back, but wanted police there when they met. Police could not reach the man, however, and will try again.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.