Skip to main content

Suffolk Reports Slight Increase in Infection Rate

Tue, 06/30/2020 - 15:57
Of 3,312 people tested for Covid-19 during the 24-hour period reported on Tuesday, 46 tested postive.
Durell Godfrey

The number of positive cases of Covid-19 in Suffolk County rose by 46 in the last 24 hours, and the infection rate doubled, increasing to 1.4 percent from .7 percent the day before, Suffolk County Executive Steve Bellone said at his press briefing on Tuesday. 

Mr. Bellone, who had called the .7-percent infection rate "excellent" at Monday's briefing, acknowledged that 1.4 percent is "a terrible number," but said he wasn't overly concerned about the one-day increase. The infection rate reported on Sunday was 1 percent, on Saturday .98 percent, and on Friday 1.1 percent.

The number of people testing positive is consistent with numbers reported over the past several days: 33 Monday, 53 Sunday, 45 on Saturday, and 57 Friday. 

To date, 41,385 people in the county have tested positive for the virus, and an additional 19,127 have tested positive for the antibody.

There were two additional deaths, up from zero the previous day, which brings the number of overall fatalities in the county to 1,981. 

Hospitalizations decreased by 6 to 66, the first time the number has been under 70 since March, and the number of patients in intensive care units increased by 1 to 24. Nine people were discharged. 

Hospital capacity in the county is at 67 percent, and I.C.U. capacity at 59 percent. 

Mr. Bellone, who had been assisting the Long Island Ducks professional baseball team in developing a game plan for welcoming fans to Bethpage Ballpark, relayed the news that the team had decided to cancel the 2020 season. 

In an effort to finance the season by selling tickets, Mr. Bellone said, the team had been seeking an exemption from the state's order prohibiting gatherings at professional sports venues. The state did not grant the exemption. 

“We tried everything in our power to start the season despite the pandemic and all the challenges it presented,” said Frank Boulton, the team's founder and C.E.O. in a statement about the cancellation. "Without fans, we cannot move forward in 2020."


Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.