Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 08.01.19

Thu, 08/01/2019 - 13:42


A man walked out of Brent’s General Store on July 17 at about 9:30 p.m. without paying for the six-pack of Montauk Brewing Company beer he was carrying. David Winthrop told police he just wants the man to pay for the beer and not return to the store.

The sink in the men’s bathroom at Albert’s Landing Beach was found broken into pieces on the morning of July 24. There was no other damage to the building. East Hampton Town officials estimated the replacement cost at about $300.

East Hampton

An unknown man was found asleep on Susan Buckley’s couch at her Crystal Drive house at about 5:05 a.m. on July 2. Police woke him up. Ms. Buckley declined to press charges, and the man was escorted home.

Jean Hamilton, the deputy East Hampton Town clerk, reported that the town received a check on June 24 in the amount of $190 for a recycling sticker ($115) and a nonresident beach sticker ($75). When her office tried to cash the check, they found the account did not have sufficient funds. She called the person who wrote the check three times, but got no response, so she filed a police report on Friday.

Kyle Herman said someone went into his garage on High Point Road and stole a Dewalt 3500 generator sometime between July 23 at 8 a.m. and last Thursday at 1 p.m. Whoever took the generator had to get past skill saws, a mason saw, power tools, a crossbow, and other items of value. Mr. Herman said the garage was always locked and no one has a spare key.

East Hampton Village

On July 22 at about 6:35 p.m., police were called to an Apaquogue Road property, where a deer was stuck in a perimeter fence. The deer was dead on arrival. The homeowner said he would have it removed.

A 28-year-old Chicago woman reported items missing from her rental car, parked in a lot off Newtown Lane, at about 10:30 p.m. on July 22. While speaking to police, she suddenly realized she had been in the wrong car. Her rental was parked behind the one she thought was hers. All her belongings were safe and sound, police said.

The family of an 11-year-old boy from Eagan, Minn., accidentally him left behind at Main Beach on the evening of July 23. The boy’s father phoned police just after 8 p.m. when he realized he had left the boy at the beach. An officer went to the beach and found the child, who said he was in the bathroom when his family left. The father arrived soon after and told police there had been a large family gathering and he thought his son was in another family member’s vehicle. Father and son were reunited.

Back on June 28, while a 75-year-old East Hampton man dined at DOPO La Spiaggia on Race Lane, his sunglasses were stolen from his table, he said in a report filed on July 24. The theft occurred between 7 and 8 p.m. He wanted to document the incident for insurance purposes. The glasses cost approximately $300.

Police received word at about 12:30 p.m. on July 24 that a man was “throwing bike locks” at people near John Papas Cafe on Park Place. Officers could not find the man or any signs of a disturbance.

Incensed that her lawn had been damaged, an Egypt Lane woman filed a police report on July 24. She said her landscaper had told her that a weed control product had been applied to her lawn five days before. She said she had told him she did not want her lawn treated and just wanted “normal maintenance.” Police advised her that this was a civil matter, but she was “upset about the state of her lawn and wishes to have the incident documented,” according to the report.

An 84-year-old Talmage Lane woman knew it was a scam when she got a recorded call on July 24 from the “Department of U.S.A. Revenue Agency” about a lawsuit. The recording said if she did not call back, a warrant would be issued for her arrest. She called police instead.

Police were called to the Exxon gas station on Montauk Highway last Thursday about a dispute after a customer tried to urinate in the back lot. When officers arrived, the man, a 56-year-old who lives on Park Avenue in Manhattan, was gone. Police were able to contact him and he said he took a walk because the bathroom line was too long. He reported being yelled at when he was out back, and said he had left to find another restroom.  


Nicholas P. Shevloff, 58, of Manhattan reported being assaulted in the parking lot at Ditch Plain Beach on Friday afternoon. He said he had been surfing and was yelled at by another beachgoer as he walked off the beach. The man followed him, he told police, and swung a beach umbrella pole at him. It struck him on the chin, causing a laceration. The man then dropped the pole and jumped into a dark gray pickup truck and left. Police tracked the truck to a house on West Lake Drive, where an uncooperative man with tattoos answered the door. He refused to come outside and would not give his name. Mr. Shevloff refused medical attention and did not want to pursue charges.

Francis R. Aiena of Water Mill was asleep in a bedroom on Franklin Drive at about 2 a.m. on Saturday when he awoke to two loud sounds and then heard voices in the driveway. Through an open window, he yelled “Hey!” and the people ran away. He went outside and found his windshield had been smashed with a large rock. The interior rear-view mirror and dome console were pushed in from the force of the rock on the windshield. Three other cars in the driveway were not damaged.

Sag Harbor Village

A 32-year-old Florida man was arrested after allegedly harassing a couple outside Lulu’s Kitchen on July 23 at about 10:30 p.m. Police reported that when they interviewed Hansjurgen Arndt of Fort Lauderdale, he was uncooperative and aggressive, repeatedly yelling profanities at the officers and refusing to leave the area. After declining to provide identification, he was taken into custody and charged with disorderly conduct, a violation.

Ray Redhead complained on July 24 of a possible village code violation after a group of individuals with a dog at the beach crossed on to his property on Terry Drive, he said. He believed that his property stretched to the high water line, and that the group, which “smelled of marijuana,” did not have the right to be there. The group was gone when police arrived.

Alan Furst reported a “suspicious FedEx truck” parked in his driveway on Hampton Street on Friday at around 9 p.m.  Mr. Furst stated that he passed his house while on his way back from an errand and saw the truck in his driveway.

No packages were left behind, though, which he found odd. Police found no property damage and advised the homeowner to call FedEx to ascertain why the truck was in the driveway.

Jane Holden, a village real estate agent, reported receiving harassing voice-mail messages from an older man on Saturday afternoon in reference to a property that Ms. Holden was trying to sell. She said the caller asked her not to use a certain attorney. Police contacted the man and he said he would stop calling.

Trent Bansak, an 18-year-old from Westport, Conn., was charged with disorderly conduct after police found him on Sunday morning at 1, urinating on the fence and sidewalk in front of a Union Street residence. He is due in court on Aug. 13.

That same evening, police arrested 31-year-old Victor Peterson and 21-year-old Brendan Harrington, who were allegedly found on Long Island Avenue drinking 12-ounce cans of White Claw hard seltzer. Police issued each man a village code summons for open possession of alcohol.

Bernice Autin called police Monday at around 2 p.m. after allegedly witnessing a woman taking a Coco Chanel doll valued at $160 from the WildSide store front window. The doll’s whereabouts remain a mystery.

Later that evening, police responded to a report of a traffic cone and two metal stools blocking the road on Spring Street, east of Garden Street. They removed the traffic cones upon arrival and returned the metal stools to 16 Bridge Street.

During a routine patrol on Monday at around 10 p.m., an officer spotted Michael Weeks, a Corner Bar employee, and another man arguing outside the Main Street bar. Mr. Weeks said he was having trouble getting the man to leave the bar after having been denied service. The officer asked the man to leave and not come back. He complied.


Approximately $1,000 in damage was done to a house on Maidstone Park Road on July 22. David H. Elze arrived at the house, where a tenant also lived, at about midnight to find a leak in the ceiling, a hole in drywall, a bedroom door that appeared to have been kicked in, and a bathroom door that had been removed from its hinges. The door frames and trim were damaged. Police said there was a considerable amount of water on the bathroom floor from the leak. A bathmat was “completely saturated,” the report said.

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.