Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 02.23.23

Thu, 02/23/2023 - 10:57

East Hampton Village

A 31-year-old East Hampton woman reported seeing a black sedan “possibly hit something” in front of the 1770 House on Saturday night. She told police the car stopped while someone got out, picked up “something large in the roadway,” and put it in the vehicle, which then continued south on Main Street. Police looked for the car but did not find it.

Also on Saturday night, a woman reported losing her wallet in a local store, which was not identified. She was advised to contact the store manager and ask to see its security footage.

A fireplace with a closed flue was found to be responsible on Friday after police and firefighters checked out a report of smoke coming from a Lee Avenue house. Windows were opened to let the smoke out.

A 14-year-old girl flagged down police on the evening of Feb. 16 to report that her 9-year-old sister had left a nearby residence and that she couldn’t find her. Officers soon located the child at her father’s house.

A Sag Harbor woman took control of a loose dog on Feb. 15 and made arrangements with its East Hampton owner to pick it up at police headquarters on Cedar Street. The transfer was made and all were happy.

A 13-year-old girl lost her wireless ear pods on Feb. 8. They have not been found.


William Grimm of Madison Hill Drive parked his 2022 Toyota in the lot near the police substation on the afternoon of Feb. 3 and caught a westbound Jitney. Returning on Feb. 11, he found two long scratches along the driver’s side door, which, he told police, will cost about $2,500 to remove.

Despite his multiple attempts to ban her from his property, Richard Etzel of Fairview Avenue told police on Jan. 26, his former mother-in-law continues to turn up there. On Jan. 24, he said, she’d left a package on his doorstep, even after he’d instructed her to mail it to his post office box. Mr. Etzel declined to pursue trespassing charges this time, but told police he would in future.

Sag Harbor

A collarless dog was at large Sunday night on Glover Street, but luckily, just as Monica Enders was trying to contain it, its owner showed up.

Bruce Cotter of the Sag Harbor Gym told police on Friday that a customer who’d been upset about a late fee had had the fee waived, but then began sending “more aggressive messages,” including a threat to harm himself at the gym. The gym wanted the incident on record.

A young girl was found unconscious at an Atlantic Avenue house last Thursday, prompting a call to police and emergency services. She was alert and conscious upon their arrival, and her mother told the officers that this happens when her daughter “overheats.” She was taken to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital for evaluation.

The husband of a woman who has been dealing with memory-loss issues reported her missing last Thursday evening after she left their Carver Street house but did not return. Police reported that she’d eventually been contacted by cellphone, and found safe at a Long Island City apartment.

Gregory Kirwan called in a report of an oil spill on Archibald Way on the morning of Feb. 15, telling police it might have been caused by construction workers. They denied it, and blamed a car that had passed that way earlier, leaking oil. Everyone then joined in to clean up the spill.

An iPhone was found in the business district on Feb. 13 and turned over to police, who promptly returned it to its owner.

Several unidentified “white things” were reported floating in the harbor off West Water Street on Feb. 13. Police told Robert Coburn, who called in the report, that while they couldn’t determine what the things were, they didn’t present a hazard.


Patricio Delgado of Lincoln Avenue, who has reported trouble in the past with someone rummaging through his 2016 Toyota Tundra, said it happened again on Sunday morning. He’d spotted someone trying to open the car’s locked door before walking away, he said, and subsequently found him driving an electric bicycle on Springs-Fireplace Road. He called 911, he said, but lost track of the man when he turned onto Cedar Ridge Drive.

Barbara Lamonda of Harbor Boulevard reported last week that her credit-monitoring company had called Feb. 9 to say that someone had opened JetBlue and Hawaiian Air credit cards using her name and Social Security number. No purchases had been made since on the cards, nor has any suspicious activity been detected, but police advised Ms. Lamonda to keep a watchful eye on her bank statements.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.