Skip to main content

On the Police Logs

Thu, 09/02/2021 - 08:21

Town police have no leads on who illegally dumped construction debris, split firewood, and remnants of split-rail fencing on a wooded Fresh Pond Road property last week. A resident called it in on Aug. 24 around noon, and the Highway Department responded, but couldn't help because it was on private property.

East Hampton
Another case of illegal dumping was reported on Friday morning, this time on Green Hollow Road. A resident told police that five bags of trash had been left in front of his house at around 9 a.m. An officer determined the bags were full not of trash but of leaves, which were hauled away by the Highway Department.

Police received 17 residential noise complaints across town in the span of five hours late Friday night into early Saturday morning. Officers responded three times to a house on Atlantic Avenue in Amagansett and twice to a house on Oakview Highway in East Hampton, but no violations were issued. Detective Sgt. Daniel Toia said on Tuesday that while noise complaints are very common, people tend to "cut loose and party" toward the end of the summer, leading to an uptick in calls.

East Hampton Village
A new restaurant on Montauk Highway, O by Kissaki, was the subject of yet another noise complaint on Friday night. At 10:50 p.m., a nearby resident complained of loud music there. She was told that music played "at a reasonable noise level" was allowed until 11. The restaurant apparently obeyed the rules, as police received no further calls.

An officer patrolling the village late Saturday night helped a 21-year-old woman whom he saw hitchhiking on Woods Lane. A resident of the town, she told the officer her phone was dead and she was just trying to get home. He gave her a lift.

Two nude women were reported running along Accabonac Road last Thursday afternoon, creating a traffic hazard, said the Banks Court resident who called police. An officer canvassed the area but could not locate the alleged streakers.

On Aug. 24, village lifeguards called police on a 25-year-old Manhattan woman who repeatedly ignored their instructions to swim in safer areas or not at all. It took two officers and a sergeant to explain to her that disobeying a lifeguard is a violation of village code.

Multiple pet-related complaints were logged recently in the village. A business owner on Park Place called police on Aug. 23 about a woman who failed to "fully clean up" after her dog pooped in front of the store. While an officer was interviewing the shopkeeper, the woman returned with paper towels and water to address the mess.

On the morning of Aug. 25, a large labradoodle was on the lam on Toilsome Lane. Police were able to apprehend the dog but its owner could not be found, and the town's animal control unit picked it up. On the same day, a 52-year-old New York City man was ticketed for taking his dog to Two Mile Hollow Beach between the hours of 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., a village code violation that landed him a Sept. 20 court date. 

Anyone who lost a surfboard in Montauk recently may want to check with the hamlet's police substation. Left at the door of the South Embassy Street precinct on Aug. 20 was a multicolored Modern board with a crossbones graphic and the words "love child" emblazoned near the fins. Police locked it up for safekeeping.

Tensions have been running high during the Covid-19 pandemic, as evidenced by an Aug. 19 call to police from the manager of the Montauk testing site. A 37-year-old Brooklyn man demanded a test and was turned away because he did not have an appointment. He told police he had waited 90 minutes on the car line and felt he was entitled to a test because the testing company's website said walk-in patients were welcome. An officer suggested other places he could get a test, and the man left.

Summer in Montauk wouldn't be complete without a Craigslist scam involving a house rental. The house in question was 11 South Easton Place, where a Bayport family arrived on Aug. 15 to learn the house -- for which they had paid rent of $2,175 for a week -- was already occupied by another family. The scam victims told police they'd found the house on Craigslist and communicated, via a gmail address rentalhomes750, with a man claiming to be the owner. The actual owner told police he was "aware of the issue." Police sent the would-be renters off with the paperwork needed to file fraud claims with their bank.

An Amagansett woman called police on the afternoon of Aug. 23 to report an unknown man in a "peach-colored suit" who was taking pictures of her young children and others in downtown Montauk. Officers approached the man, who was from Brooklyn, and asked him to show them his photos, which he did. They depicted "many people, destinations, and objects" in the hamlet, nothing lewd. No further police action was required.

Sag Harbor
Ongoing disturbances by a 42-year-old man have not escalated to the point of an arrest, but that may happen soon. Two weeks ago, he was spoken to for harassing workers on a yacht, and on Aug. 24, the man, who does not live in the village, reportedly misbehaved until an employee of the American Hotel filed a formal trespassing complaint. Police told the man he is not permitted at that establishment anymore. Earlier in the day on Long Wharf, police received a call about a man — the same one — "using profanity and shouting incoherent things" and complaining about a broken gate on the wharf. An officer confirmed the gate was fine and told the man to leave the area.

That same day, a customer at BuddhaBerry was asked to leave the cafe after the owner observed him charging his cellphone in an outlet there and called police. The man, whose behavior would have been commonplace at any Starbucks, apologized and left the store.

A gray 2002 Volkswagen Golf has been missing since 5:45 p.m. on Saturday, when its owner last saw it parked in the Summerhill Landscaping lot on Shore Road, "where it always is," he told police. This time, though, he'd left the keys inside.

Also on Saturday, an employee at K Pasa reported a dine-and-dash, or rather drink-and-dash, after a man ordered three cocktails and left without paying the tab. Police found the man, 37, and escorted him back to the restaurant to pony up.

An East Hampton Town police officer was recuperating after a line-of-duty accident that happened last Friday morning. Officer Andrew Nimmo, who was taking part in emergency service training activities in upstate Verona, suffered a concussion and an eye injury in a car accident there, Detective Sgt. Daniel Toia said this week. Officer Nimmo is a past recipient of the department's Excellent Police Service Award. "We're hoping for a quick recovery of our officer," Sergeant Toia said.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.