Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 06.17.21

Thu, 06/17/2021 - 08:36

East Hampton

A report filed on June 9 at 11 p.m. told of a loud bang and a "squealing noise" that brought a Floyd Street resident outside to check. Damage to his split-rail fence and a tree in the front yard was visible, he told police, but the culpable car making a getaway, turning onto Accabonac Road, was less so. 

East Hampton Village

Officers responded to a report of a man yelling profanities in Herrick Park on the morning of June 7. "He is visiting the area and looking for public transportation to the beach," they reported. Police suggested Hampton Free Ride, a shuttle to Main Beach.

"An erratic green garbage truck that almost ran a runner off the roadway" was the description of an incident later that afternoon. Police were unable to track down the truck.

On the morning of June 8, disturbed that trees along his property line were being trimmed, a Pantigo Road resident called police, who spoke to the contractor. He explained that he was trimming overhanging limbs, which, police told the neighbor, was legitimate.

Someone reported a Jaguar parked in the post office lot on the afternoon of June 8, with the driver refusing to leave. He eventually left after an officer told him the lot was private and he could not park there.

A propane pool heater, reported stolen from a Huntting Lane house on June 5, was returned to the driveway four days later after the owner had made "several inquiring phone calls." That was the sum and substance of the police report.

"Inappropriate" was the description of a comment allegedly made by a 90-year-old man to a 26-year-old man outside a Pantigo Road house on the night of June 9. Police followed up with the older man, who denied ever having had such a conversation.

The Find My iPhone app pinged a Wainscott man's iPhone at 2 p.m. last Thursday, somewhere on Main Beach, but he could not find it, he told police. A beach manager said it had not been turned in.

A Dayton Lane resident complained on June 12 of "nasty letters" being left on her front lawn. The writer or writers is apparently not a fan of the renovations being done on her house.

Large amounts of topsoil are sailing through the air from a neighbor's job site onto a Cross Highway property, its owner told police last week. The contractor promised an officer that going forward with the driveway repaving he would wet the soil.


On the afternoon of June 9, a shopper bought a few things at Shine, a women's clothing boutique on Main Street, but it also appeared that she'd left the store with three bracelets, a T-shirt, and a pair of shorts, all unpaid. Police found a woman matching an employee's description in the parking lot of Round Swamp Farm on South Elmwood Avenue, and took her back to the store, where she paid for the items and was told never to return. 

Sag Harbor

A Church Street woman called on June 7 to complain about the "shit-show" in her living room. A building inspector had just told her that her incorrectly installed fireplace was not covered by the certificate of occupancy issued to the unit. Police told her it was a civil matter.

At 3:45 a.m. on June 8, a Division Street woman went out of her house to take a call, and found she'd locked herself out. With the guidance of an officer, she knocked on a window and woke someone inside.

Later that day, a SagTown Coffee customer reported from her outdoor table that she was noticing individuals "roaming and looking suspicious and looking at people's property on the tables." Police did not find evidence of this.

Last Thursday evening a resident of Franklin Avenue reported hearing someone trying to open a locked front screen door. Law enforcement did not see signs of such activity, though the homeowner also claimed to hear someone walking along a stone driveway on the side of the house.

A man identified only as "Jonathan," who police said was drunk, "became unruly with women" in a Madison Street house early Friday morning and refused to leave. His hosts called police, who took him to the Sag Harbor Inn, but there was no room there, he told them in a 3:45 a.m. call to headquarters. He was advised to call an Uber and try Southampton.

A Friday-night trifecta of summertime sounds: From 9:15 to 11:45 p.m., police got one call about a noisy leaf blower on Robeson Boulevard; another about construction on Joel's Lane, and a third about a Lighthouse Lane man in a swimming pool, who said he did not realize he and his kids were being so loud.

At around 2 a.m. Saturday, at the intersection of Division and Hampton Streets, someone reported a woman yelling and a man telling her to "shut up." Police got the story: the man had tripped and his wife was making fun of him.

Late that night, from the safety of a white Chevrolet pickup truck, youths were reported to be squirting water guns at drivers. There were also several calls around midnight Saturday complaining of loud music, on Main Street, Division Street, Lighthouse Lane, and Milton Avenue.

A man wearing "dark pants and a dark shirt" was reported sitting on the curb "with alcohol" at Bay and Hempstead Streets on Sunday afternoon. Police found him lying by a tree, with an open container. He said, according to the report, that he'd "walked to the Gulf gas station because he is an alcoholic and is trying to work on his problems." The officer walked him home and let him off with a warning. 


The opening of a Mexican restaurant, which caused an uptick in foot traffic on the street, caused a Maidstone Park Road dog to bark nonstop last Thursday night. The owner wondered if her dog had sensed a prowler, but officers determined that was not the case.


On June 6, a couple arrived home at 6:15 a.m. to find that a burglar had been busy at their Wainscott Main Street house. Their daughter was last there on June 3, they told police, and left at 5:30 p.m. Sometime since, a burglar had taken, among other things, a leather and metal footlocker chest, a television set, a white KitchenAid mixer, a garbage pail, and laundry detergent. Police found other items in a pile outside a rear sliding door, "possibly to retrieve later at the entrance to the attic," they reported. More things were found hidden behind a Ping-Pong table in the garage, which had been left unlocked. Items from the kitchen cabinets, including a broken bowl, were found arranged on a table; a brand-new oven hood was damaged, and Modelo beer cans were strewn about. An investigation is ongoing.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.