Skip to main content

Two Charged Are No Strangers to Police

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:12



Two local men, neither of whom is a stranger to local police, are facing felony charges after being accused last week of driving while intoxicated.

Juan D. Cano, 20, currently living in Montauk, was driving a 2015 Nissan when he was pulled over by East Hampton Town police just before midnight last Thursday. Police said he was speeding on Springs-Fireplace Road in Springs before turning onto School Street, where the stop was made. Placed under arrest on a misdemeanor D.W.I. charge, he consented to take a breath test back at headquarters, producing a blood-alcohol level reading of 0.09, just above the level that triggers the charge.

More problematic for Mr. Cano is an additional charge filed against him that night of driving without a license. His driver’s license, which was suspended last year after he pleaded guilty to driving with ability impaired by drugs, has not yet been restored, resulting in an automatic felony count of unlicensed driving.

The new charges will likely complicate Mr. Cano’s status in county court, where he is awaiting sentencing after pleading guilty in June to a felony charge of burglary, following his arrest in April by town police. A second burglary charge was dropped in exchange for the guilty plea. Mr. Cano is likely to receive a chilly reception when he returns to State Supreme Court Justice John B. Collins’s courtroom in Riverside for sentencing on Dec. 9.

Meanwhile, still pending against him in East Hampton Town Justice Court is a charge of harassment, as well as a misdemeanor charge of violating the order of protection against him held by his mother. Mr. Cano could not put up bail of $5,000, set for him in the local court on Friday morning, and was taken to the county jail, where he remained as of Tuesday afternoon.

East Hampton Village police arrested Angel E. Balboa-Tenezaca, 42, of Amagansett early Sunday morning on Woods Lane, saying that his 2002 Chevrolet had been speeding. He was also cited for insufficient taillights and failing to maintain his lane of travel.

Mr. Balboa-Tenezaca, who has a prior drunken-driving conviction, was charged with felony D.W.I. as well as felony unlicensed driving. Initially unable to post $5,000 bail, he was taken to Riverside, where he spent Sunday night before being bailed out the next day.

 

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.