Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 09.23.21

Thu, 09/23/2021 - 06:33

East Hampton

A middle-of-the-night bonfire at a property on Trails End Road attracted the attention of the fire department on Sept. 15. Chief Gerard Turza Jr. said several workers decided to burn assorted debris at a construction site, but it was "nothing of consequence, other than stupidity." Police ticketed the revelers.

East Hampton Village

A pair of construction workers visiting from London told police they wanted to "make some money while they vacationed" and took on some work, heading to Riverhead Building Supply on Sept. 14 to buy materials. There they were accused of shoplifting. After telling an officer they hadn't understood that they'd only been charged for one of the four gutters they'd left with, they paid for the other three. The management did not press charges, but the men were told not to return to the store and will have to find their building materials somewhere else now.

A 76-year-old Staten Island man was "simply tired" from fishing all day, he told police last Thursday afternoon, after they stopped him on Pantigo Road for erratic driving. He said he would get a cup of coffee to stay awake.

A 28-year-old East Hampton man called police on Saturday afternoon when a woman began harassing and following him and his family in the Reutershan parking lot. According to the report, the "agitated" woman, who had questioned the man about his "parenting abilities," was told to "keep her personal opinions to herself."


"Of course you're going to be on their side. You're all Montauk people!" an unruly and combative guest shouted at a police officer at the Snug Harbor Motel on Sept. 7 after a local dock worker called to report an argument that was getting heated. For three hours, the man said, two dogs had been barking on a nearby boat belonging to a Norwalk, Conn., woman while he was trying to relax in his room. Police did not file any charges, nor did they record any violations.

Sag Harbor

Docked at Long Wharf and alone late at night on Sept. 12, a 55-year-old Connecticut man was watching TV in the lower cabin of his boat when he heard laughter coming from above. He didn't find it very funny, however, when he discovered three young women on the boat, taking pictures of one another. They apologized and no charges were filed, but police escorted them off with a warning not to try it again on anyone else's boat.

On the afternoon of Sept. 14, in an ongoing argument with the property owner, a squatter in a house on Cornell Road interfered with survey work being done to prepare the house for its sale. The woman, according to the report, has done this before. Police were called and she stepped aside so the surveyors could do their work.

Apparently frustrated that the gas station on Main Street didn't have an operational public restroom on Saturday, a person described only as a "six-foot-tall man" walked around the back of the building and relieved himself anyway. An employee reported the lewd act to police at around 9:30 a.m., but he was gone when they responded.


Was it a weakfish or a kingfish? A 46-year-old East Hampton man was ticketed on Sept. 10 at the Gerard Drive beach after a dispute over an allegedly undersize fish. A Marine Patrol officer settled it by sending a cellphone picture of the fish to his supervisor to confirm its identity: Weakfish indeed.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.