Skip to main content

Judge: ‘You Want Him to Come Home?’

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:23

Two men charged with felony domestic violence appeared separately in East Hampton Town Justice Court in recent weeks.

David M. Barlow told Justice Steven Tekulsky during his arraignment last Thursday that he was an American citizen but had been living in Mexico for the past 14 years. He had driven here with his girlfriend of four months, Jordana Esses of Hand’s Creek Road, East Hampton, earlier this month, he said.

Ms. Esses told the court that Mr. Barlow, an alcoholic, had been on the drug Antabuse, which is prescriptive in the United States but sold over the counter in Mexico. The drug makes a person violently ill after drinking even a small quantity of alcohol. Her boyfriend had stopped taking the drug and started drinking, she said.

The incident that landed Mr. Barlow in court had happened the night before at her house. She was calling the police during an argument, she told an officer taking her to Southampton Hospital, when Mr. Barlow grabbed the phone from her and broke it into pieces. She ran away from him, she said, taking out her iPhone and dialing 911. He snatched the cellphone, tossed it away, and threw her to the floor, she said, “saying he was going to kill me,” then beat, kicked, and choked her until she passed out.

When she came to, she told the officer, he was in her bedroom, breaking into her shotgun case. He took her 20-gauge Remington shotgun out onto the back deck, she said, and blasted two shots into the air.

She staggered out of the house to find an East Hampton Town police car pulling into the driveway. A police dispatcher had been able to trace both the phone calls she had made.

In court the next morning, Ms. Esses asked that Mr. Barlow, who has five criminal charges against him including assault and felony strangulation, be released without an order of protection.

Jacob DeLauter of the district attorney’s office urged Justice Tekulsky to issue the order despite the woman’s request. “They have only known each other for four months,” he said.

“She understands what is happening here,” said Mr. Barlow’s attorney, Cynthia Darrell of the Legal Aid Society.

“You want him to come home and live with you?” asked Justice Tekulsky.

“He needs treatment, not incarceration,” Ms. Esses replied.

The justice set bail at $250 and issued a modified protection order: There should be no guns in the house and no alcohol.

Bail was posted later that morning.

Montauk Condominiums was the scene of a physical dispute that began on the night of April 11 and spilled over to the next morning. Frank J. DiLauria, 52, was said to have thrown Patricia Coover to the ground, grabbed her by the feet, and dragged her out of their trailer and through their yard. The next morning, police said, he told her “to pack her things and leave.” When she went to call a friend, he was said to have “thrown her to the ground and smashed the cellphone against the wall.”

A neighbor, hearing the disturbance, phoned 911.

Justice Catherine A. Cahill, now retired, had issued Ms. Coover an order of protection against Mr. DiLauria in 2013; it is still in effect. Mr. DiLauria, charged with assault and violation of the order, was arrested on April 15.

Justice Lisa R. Rana strongly encouraged him to seek help before his next court date as she set bail at $500, which was posted. “There are plenty of A.A. meetings,” she told him. “Go.”

Mr. DiLauria, head bowed, agreed.

A Springs woman came home Sunday afternoon after a day at work to find police waiting for her. Police said that Suzette Campbell, unable to find a sitter, had locked her 14-month-old son in the room she rents on Copeces Lane that morning before leaving for work.

In court Monday for her arraignment on child endangerment charges, Ms. Campbell, 36, who is from Jamaica and said she has been in East Hampton for about two years, appeared stunned. Justice Rana issued an order of protection for the baby, who was turned over to the custody of Ms. Campbell’s brother-in-law.

Brian DeSesa, representing Ms. Campbell, entered a not-guilty plea on her behalf and whispered to her the terms of the order of protection. Holding back tears, Ms. Campbell nodded her head, yes.

Mr. DeSesa told the court that Ms. Campbell could post $500 bail, but the justice set it instead at $2,500. It has since been posted.


Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.