Skip to main content

Three Chairs and a Baseball Bat

Thu, 05/23/2019 - 07:23
Keen O. Rodney, who lives and works in Montauk during the summer season, faces a felony assault charge after a fight with his roommates last week.

Keen O. Rodney, 32, who splits his time between Florida and Montauk, was arrested last week on a felony assault charge after an alleged fight with his roommates over some fish, but asserted during his arraignment last Thursday that he was in fact the victim. He was defending himself, he said, when he swung a baseball bat at Omar Godfried Deer, breaking the man’s wrist.



The fight happened at around noon on June 24. Mr. Deer told East Hampton Town detectives that he and Mr. Rodney had been roommates for the past few weeks on Second House Road, along with Mr. Deer’s nephew, George Wignel, and a fourth man, and that Mr. Rodney was “difficult to get along with.”



Mr. Wignel told police he had been scaling some fish the day before and had asked Mr. Rodney if he wanted to help, but he declined. “Since he didn’t scale the fish, he wasn’t going to eat the fish,” Mr. Wignel stated. The fight started the next day, he stated, after “my uncle said, ‘You can’t have the fish.’ ”



Mr. Rodney went out for about 10 minutes, Mr. Wignel said, and returned brandishing a baseball bat. There the stories diverged. Uncle and nephew told detectives that Mr. Rodney began swinging the bat with extreme force, first striking and damaging a freezer door, then swinging at Mr. Deer, who said his wrist was broken when he raised his arms to fend off the blow. Both men said they picked up chairs to defend themselves.



“I was the one beaten over the head with three chairs,” Mr. Rodney said in East Hampton Town Justice Court. His Legal Aid attorney said the man had been taken to the hospital, where several stitches were needed to close a large wound.



Justice Steven Tekulsky, apparently unpersuaded, set bail at $5,000 on the felony charge. Mr. Rodney was released from custody five days later with a future date in court.



Another recent arrival, Kyle Johnson, 22, was charged early on June 20 with misdemeanor assault. East Hampton Village police said Mr. Johnson was highly intoxicated when he punched his brother, Dylan Johnson, repeatedly in the head and face, knocking him backward. The brother allegedly struck his head on a table, cutting his scalp.



In court later that morning, Justice Lisa R. Rana reviewed Mr. Johnson’s record, noting previous alcohol-related brushes with the law in Georgia and South Carolina. She issued Dylan Johnson an order of protection against his brother and wrote in a clause prohibiting Kyle Johnson from drinking alcohol when at the family house.



Two days later, Kyle Johnson was again under arrest, this time for violating the no-drinking-at-the-house order. Police said he was taken to the hospital after consuming a large quantity of Captain Morgan’s rum.



At his arraignment the next day, Justice Tekulsky urged him to get help. His father, who was in the courtroom, promised that he would, and Justice Tekulsky ordered the son released without bail. He will be back in court at a future date.

On the Police Logs 11.27.25

A Barry Lane, Springs, man told police that someone claiming to be from Amazon had called him in regard to a $996 charge on his account for an iPhone 16. When he said he didn’t have an Amazon account, he was transferred to someone who identified himself as a Social Security employee, accused him of money laundering, and told him to expect a call from Nassau County police.

Nov 27, 2025

Accused of Stealing Wipes

A homeless 22-year-old was arrested last week in Montauk, accused of stealing a package of wipes from the Montauk I.G.A. after having been being notified the week before that he was no longer allowed on the premises.

Nov 27, 2025

Hospitalized After Accident

Police reported only one accident on local roads recently that resulted in an injury, which happened on Nov. 11 in Montauk, after midnight.

Nov 27, 2025

Five-Day Sentence for 2023 Graffiti That Unnerved Montauk

A 76-year-old Montauk man was sentenced to five days in county jail, followed by three years of probation, for spray-painting swastikas and antisemitic phrases around the hamlet in late 2023. 

Nov 20, 2025

 

Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.