Skip to main content

CVS Manager Indicted

Thu, 11/07/2019 - 12:09
Patchita Tennant, seen here being led out of Southampton Town Justice Court after appearing after her arrest in September, has been free on bail. She will be arraigned on upgraded charges on Thursday.
Doug Kuntz

Patchita Tennant, a well-liked manager at the CVS pharmacy on Pantigo Road in East Hampton, was indicted last week on new, upgraded charges that include the attempted murder of her boyfriend in their Flanders home in September.

According to online records, a grand jury handed down the four-count felony indictment last Thursday, though Ms. Tennant, 42, is not scheduled for arraignment in Suffolk County Criminal Court until next Thursday, when the indictment will be unsealed. In addition to the attempted murder charge, she faces a charge of criminal use of a firearm in the first degree and two counts of assault with intent to cause serious injury.

Ms. Tennant, who worked at the East Hampton CVS for 15 years and was a manager for nine years, had been charged with first-degree assault and criminal use of a firearm at the time of her arrest on Sept. 6. She remains free on $500,000 bond, which was posted by family and friends in the days after the shooting. New bail could be set at her arraignment next week.

Southampton Town police arrested her the day after she shot her boyfriend in their Flanders home and then fled, leading to an Amber Alert for their 3-year-old daughter. Police said she shot Andrew Mitchell, 46, three times in the chest and arm with a .38-caliber weapon during a heated argument. Their daughter was found safe at a family member’s home the next morning, and Ms. Tennant turned herself in later that day.

Her attorney, Austin Manghan, who declined to comment on Monday, has said Ms. Tennant told him Mr. Mitchell pulled the gun on her, and that she did not even know he had one. The lawyer has said she was “fighting for her life” when she pulled the trigger after a struggle for the gun.

Mr. Mitchell underwent emergency surgery at Stony Brook University Hospital, and was released from the hospital about a week later.

Ms. Tennant’s case was on the Southampton Town Justice Court docket on Monday, but the felony complaint was quickly dismissed; a formality, given the indictment in the county court. Nearly 30 of Ms. Tennant’s supporters were in attendance.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.