Skip to main content

Alcohol Said to Be Involved

Wed, 11/17/2021 - 19:37

Three drivers who crashed their vehicles on town and village roads recently found themselves facing alcohol-related charges.

In Sag Harbor, Francisco Torres-Coria, a 43-year-old village resident, struck a fence, telephone pole, tree, a police department radar trailer, and a hedgerow on Madison Street shortly after midnight on Saturday. His 2018 Ford pickup truck had extensive front-end damage but he was not hurt, according to a police report.

An officer said Mr. Torres-Coria showed signs of intoxication and failed roadside sobriety tests. After he took a breath test and a chemical test, he was charged with two misdemeanor D.W.I. charges, including one indicating he allegedly had a blood-alcohol content of at least .08 of 1 percent, which is the legal limit in New York State. Held overnight at East Hampton Town police headquarters, he was arraigned in Sag Harbor Village Justice Court the next morning by Justice Lisa R. Rana.

Town police said Segundo R. Zhagui Zhagui of East Hampton, 36, put his 2003 Honda sedan into reverse and backed into a parked car at the Empire Service Station on North Main Street in East Hampton around 11 p.m. on Sunday. The officer who responded said Mr. Zhagui showed signs of intoxication and charged him with two first-offense misdemeanor counts of drunken driving, including one after his breath test showed a result over the legal limit, police said. He was arraigned Monday morning in town justice court by Justice Rana and released on his own recognizance.

According to a report dated Nov. 6 but released on Monday, Casten J. Mata of East Hampton, 23, was similarly charged after he, too, was involved in a car accident. About 2:30 a.m. that day, Mr. Mata crashed his 2012 Toyota pickup truck into a utility pole and a tree on Abraham’s Path in Amagansett, according to the report. An officer said he showed signs of drunkenness and blew a breath test result at or over the legal limit. Mr. Mata was arraigned and released on his own recognizance later that morning by Justice Steven Tekulsky.

In an incident not related to alcohol, on Nov. 4 Mitchell R. Alfus of Wainscott, 69, was charged with fourth-degree criminal mischief, a misdemeanor, for an alleged attempt to prevent a woman from using her cellphone to call police for help. The incident occurred at his house. Also accused of striking, scratching, and pushing a woman, Mr. Alfus was additionally charged with second-degree harassment, a violation. He was arraigned by Justice Tekulsky that same day and released on his own recognizance. With charges of criminal obstruction of breathing and acting in a manner injurious to a child less than 17 years old pending from an incident in April, Mr. Alfus is due back in court on Dec. 16.

Jorge Rosas-Gonzalez of East Hampton, 49, was charged on Friday with a felony count of third-degree criminal mischief. He destroyed three security cameras by throwing them into a pool and a wooded area at his residence, according to a police report. Damages were estimated at more than $250. He was arraigned the next morning by Justice Rana and released on his own recognizance.

A car accident in East Hampton led to charges for Learie V. Peters Jr. of Brooklyn on Nov. 8 around 2:30 p.m. Police said that at the corner of Montauk Highway and Stephen Hand’s Path, Christian Baculima of East Hampton was waiting to make a right turn onto the highway when Mr. Peters drove around him on the left in order to overtake Mr. Baculima and make a right turn himself. A minor accident ensued, but the responding officer determined that Mr. Peters’s license had been suspended previously and charged him with third-degree unlicensed driving, a misdemeanor. The 27-year-old will answer the charge in town justice court on Dec. 1.

In Wainscott, police charged Donnis A. Ractun of East Hampton, 23, with second-degree unlicensed driving, a misdemeanor, following a traffic stop on Wainscott Stone Road on Nov. 10 around 6:30 a.m. He was additionally cited for apparently lacking proper brake lights and a valid inspection.

Robin Jimenez-Ortiz of Southampton, 35, was also accused by town police of second-degree unlicensed driving during a traffic stop on Route 114 in East Hampton on the morning of Nov. 4. Both he and Mr. Ractun are to appear in town justice court on Wednesday.


Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.