On the Police Logs 06.14.18


Four bicycles were stolen from the Inn at Windmill Lane on three separate occasions, according to the manager, Edward Villafane. The gray Huffy beach cruisers are worth about $175 each. Two were taken from outside the main house on the evening of May 12, one was taken from outside a cottage there on the evening of May 26, and another from the main house on June 2. 


East Hampton

A 19-inch Samsung television and the Optimum cable box it was hooked to went missing from an upstairs guest bedroom at an Accabonac Road house sometime over the winter. Linda Roth filed a police report on June 11, explaining that the items were taken between November and April. 


East Hampton Village

Police were called to the post office on Gay Lane about someone sleeping there on June 5 at about 1 a.m. The 53-year-old man said he was from Brentwood and had no way of getting home. 

A driver accidentally pulled ahead while a gas pump was still inserted in his vehicle at the Exxon gas station on Montauk Highway last Thursday at about 6:30 p.m. The hose connection separated, though no gas spilled, and the station operator was able to reattach it. There was no damage to the pump. 

The doorman at the Blue Parrot restaurant said a female guest was causing a problem last Thursday at about 9:30 p.m. He told police he didn’t want her there and he also didn’t want to have her leave and come back that night. She agreed, though she said there had been no problem. 

A Wainscott man contacted police to report a Suffolk County bus had left before he was able to get on board at the Railroad Avenue stop Friday around 6 p.m. Another bus arrived while an officer was speaking to him, however, and the man went on his way.



Several items were swiped from the trunk of a car parked at the Sands Motel on South Emerson Avenue between June 2 and 4. Leila Demille-Vanhouten of Lodi, N.J., went to the East Hampton Town Police substation in the hamlet on Monday at around 3 p.m. She said an E-Z toll pass, a marriage certificate, a marriage filing certificate, two birth certificates, and two Social Security cards belonging to her and her daughter were gone. They had been in an accordion folder inside a Coach bag in the trunk of her 2018 Chevrolet Camaro. Police suggested she keep an eye on her credit report. 


Sag Harbor

Sometime on the night of June 5 someone damaged the nameplate on the front door of Nancy Haynes’s Rogers Street house with a black permanent marker. Her roommate heard some commotion during the night, but had not investigated. 

A neighbor called police when she was bothered by loud conversation coming from a house on Long Point Road last Thursday at about 4:25 a.m. Police arrived to find a security guard who had been hired to watch several high school students celebrating their prom. He said they would keep it down.

Susan Larose returned to her 2014 Audi, which was parked in front of L.T. Burger on Main Street last Thursday, to find a robin stuck in the front grille. An officer tried unsuccessfully to free the bird by opening the hood. It had apparently flown in through a small gap under the front bumper, and the only recourse would have been to remove the grille entirely, police said. Ms. Larose drove home with the intent of doing so there. 

A 27-year-old man was charged with disorderly conduct after causing a scene at the 7-Eleven on Long Island Avenue on Saturday afternoon. He had been yelling at one of the cashiers, saying “Give me my stuff.” An officer tried to calm him down outside, but he cursed at the officer, would not show identification, and refused to answer questions. Police said he appeared to be under the influence of drugs, and he later admitted to smoking synthetic marijuana earlier in the day. He was taken to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital “due to significant mood swings,” a report said. 

Police arrested a 32-year-old woman who also appeared to be under the influence of drugs after she allegedly became violent inside a house on Main Street on Sunday at about 1:40 a.m. Police said she had knocked on the door asking for help, and when the occupant let her in, began to hit a wall, causing damage to it and to several paintings, which fell to the floor. Police found her outside, screaming obscenities. She, too, was taken to the hospital for evaluation.  

A Sag Harbor resident reported a dog locked in a red minivan at 4:21 p.m. last Thursday. The police arrived to find the engine on and the air-conditioning running. The dog appeared content, a police report said.

Eunice Vaughn of Hillside Drive reported an email scammer posing as the cybersecurity provider McAfee. Ms. Vaughn received an email last Thursday that appeared to be from the company and opened it. Her computer then stopped working.

Police issued a village code summons to a 52-year-old woman after an estate sale on Glover Street caused parking problems Saturday morning. She had not obtained permission to have the sale, police said, and those going to the sale had parked illegally against the flow of traffic and blocked a fire hydrant. 



A 70-year-old Springs man filed a harassment report on June 4 over unwanted letters and phone calls from someone he said he had dated 43 years ago. He told police the suspect would “not leave him alone” about a picture that the suspect claimed he had, though he said he doesn’t have it. He has blocked phone numbers belonging to the suspect and has been returning mail unopened.  

Peter D. Friscia wanted to document a strange incident on his Kent Place property. On Friday at about 11 p.m., two men got out of a vehicle, walked up his driveway and then toward the backyard. He yelled at them to leave, and they turned around, walked back to their vehicle, and drove away. 


Timothy S. Boerkoel of Wainscott went to withdraw cash from his bank account on Friday afternoon, and found his account overdrawn by $1,600, despite having had $15,000 in the account earlier. Several bad checks had been written on his account. Police are investigating.