Also on the Logs: 05.31.18

Local Police Records


Lucy Sachs contacted police on May 7 after seeing Instagram posts she believes were taken on her Ocean View Avenue property in October 2017. Ms. Sachs filed the report after mentioning it to an officer she saw on Main Street. She said there were no signs of forced entry and nothing was missing from the residence. 


East Hampton

A resident of White Birch Road said he received an email from the online Apple Store about an order, but that he hadn’t placed one. He reported the apparent identity theft on May 21. 

Identity theft was also reported by a Cosdrew Lane resident, who said he had started receiving correspondence from T.D. Bank back in January and initially dismissed it as junk since he did not have a T.D. Bank account. It turned out that an account had been opened in his name. He contacted police on May 21. 

Several items went missing from a Quarty Court house between March and April, according to a report filed by Sophia Garfield on May 23. A white metal showerhead, an umbrella holder, a brown sweater and a green one, and a gray winter jacket were taken, but there were no signs of forced entry. No value for the items was provided.


East Hampton Village

Police were called about an injured deer on Lily Pond Lane on May 22 at about 9:30 a.m. Police found that the deer had impaled itself on a metal gate and was severely injured. Police shot the deer, and called Dell Cullum Wildlife to remove it.  

Cash was reported stolen from a 15-year-old’s wallet, which was in his backpack at the Y.M.C.A. East Hampton RECenter on Gingerbread Lane on May 22. The boy said he left his backpack on top of a row of lockers in the men’s locker room for about an hour and when he returned the backpack was on the floor and the cash was missing. The wallet — cash and all — was eventually found on the side of the road.

The manager at the Y.M.C.A. called police on Wednesday morning about people parking cars in the handicapped-parking place without a permit, leaving it unavailable for those who are handicapped. Police issued a summons to the driver of one vehicle. 

A Dayton Lane man complained about gas-powered landscaping equipment being used during prohibited times last Thursday around 6:45 p.m. The officer advised the man that the village code prohibiting the use of gas or diesel-powered lawn care equipment after 6 p.m. on weekdays and 3 p.m. on Saturdays, as well as federal holidays and Sundays, by anyone other than the homeowner or tenant, applies only between June 1 and the second Friday in December. The officer also told the landscaper.

A Dumpster fire at Landscape Details on Montauk Highway was already extinguished upon police arrival on Friday around 11:25 a.m.

An officer issued a violation to the owner of a dog who was walking it on Egypt Beach on Friday afternoon. Dogs are not allowed on the beach from May 15 to Sept. 15 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

In the Reutershan parking lot on Friday around 11 p.m., police found a red substance on the wall in the handicapped bathroom stall. The officer was easily able to wipe off some of the substance. The East Hampton Village Highway Department was notified. 

Daffodils in front of a house on Pondview Lane were reported damaged on the night of May 4, but the incident was reported to police only on Saturday. 

Police received a complaint of loud voices and intermittent music coming from a Jericho Road house on Sunday at about 12:20 a.m. Police spoke to the homeowner, who promised there would be no more music or loud talking for the rest of the night.

After receiving a complaint of loud music on Jones Cove Road on Sunday at around 11 p.m., an officer spoke to a tenant who said he had not been aware the outside speakers were on and that he would turn the music off. 

Loud music was also the cause of a complaint on Lily Pond Lane on Sunday at about 12:30 a.m. Police spoke with the security staff who had the music turned off. 



A 668 MTK Taxi driver and an Uber driver got into a dispute over a fare in front of the Sloppy Tuna bar and restaurant on South Emerson Avenue on May 20 at about 7 p.m. The Uber driver said the other person wasn’t allowed to pick up Uber passengers. 

Michael Cole flagged down police at the Montauk substation to report that someone had unbolted, cut the wires, and taken the fog light from his 2003 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck on May 12. It was worth about $125. 

A couple left the West Lake Fish House on West Lake Drive without paying their $94 bill on Friday at around 9:35 p.m. The manager, James Lyons, called police at 12:15 a.m. Saturday.


Sag Harbor Village

A bird struck a drone and sent it plunging into the waters off Long Wharf last Thursday evening. Jade Amantea filed a police report, for insurance purposes, on Friday, saying his D.J.I. Mavic Pro drone crashed into the water around 5 p.m. He said it is worth $1,360.  

A homeless man known to frequent the area between the 7-Eleven and the bridge to North Haven was found asleep in the grass there on Saturday at around 6:45 a.m. 

Thomas L. Fochetta found a rock and glass in the living room of his Madison Avenue house on Saturday afternoon. A damaged front windowpane will cost $250 to repair. No arrests were made. 

Sewage was leaking out of a manhole cover onto the sidewalk in front of Lulu’s Kitchen on Main Street Monday evening. The manager had already called Quackenbush Cesspools Services. 

Audrey Gaul reported a check missing from her mailbox on Monday evening. She told Sag Harbor Village police she had left a $200 check for her landscaper there, and it was taken —- though not by him. 



A landlord-tenant dispute led police to a Gardiner Avenue house on May 15. The landlord allegedly shut off the water and power to an apartment, as well as cut off the internet, despite the tenant’s having paid the bill. Police have been investigating.

Robert Kouffman of Manor Lane North contacted police because he believes someone has been walking into his backyard without his permission. In a report filed on May 23, he said his gardener sometimes props open the gate to mow the grass, but Mr. Kouffman wanted the situation on record.