Also on the Logs: 04.05.18

Local Police Records


Amanda Merrow, the manager of Amagansett farmland, would have to spend an estimated $25,000 to replace three maple trees, including one with a 15-inch diameter, which were cut , three-quarters  of the way through by someone wielding a chain saw sometime between March 13 and March 18. The intent, it appeared to police, was to cause the trees to come down during strong winds at that time. 

Paul Columbo, who parks his landscaping truck on the property, said one of the two smaller trees had fallen on his vehicle, damaging it. The other small tree, with about a 6-inch diameter, had fallen on a shed, but did no damage. Ms. Merrow told police she had called in a tree service, which removed the downed trees as well as a fatally damaged large one. 

East Hampton 

A resident of the East Hampton Housing Authority apartments on Accabonac Road had her iPhone 8 Plus stolen while she was vacationing in Spain in March. On March 26, after returning to her apartment, Annalee Ficorilli received a private message via Instagram, apparently from the thief, who told her to remove the iPhone 8 from her iCloud account, or her personal information would be hacked. 

East Hampton Village

Police paid a visit to the Stop and Shop market on Newtown Lane on the evening of March 26, after receiving a complaint about a woman who had tried to pay for groceries using a federal Women, Infants, and Children check. The manager of the store said it could not accept the check because she had filled it out improperly. Police reported that they provided her with a WIC benefits booklet. 

Police received a noise complaint on Saturday night about music coming from a tent at the Hedges Inn on James Lane. A manager told police the music would be shut off at 10:45 p.m. and, at the same time, agreed to turn the volume down before then. When police left, the music was at an “acceptable” level, they said. 

Two truck drivers were issued summonses last week. Santos Flores of Brentwood was alleged to have unloaded an empty Dumpster and picked up a full one at 6:29 on March 27, a violation of the village code, which precludes pickup before 7 a.m. Jesus Santos of Ridge was written up on the morning of March 26 for allegedly operating a heavy truck on Newtown Lane, where such trucks are prohibited. 


At some point on the afternoon of March 25, a “do not enter” sign at the intersection of West Lake Drive and Montauk Highway was knocked down by a vehicle, which left the scene. The East Hampton Town Highway Department replaced the sign and post. 

Sag Harbor Village

A possible attempted burglary brought police to a Hillside Drive West house on Saturday night. Deborah Malone told police that when she entered through a doorway on the side of the house she rarely uses, she noticed that the doorknob was loose. An officer examined the knob and ruled out foul play. It just needed to be tightened from inside.

Sigrid Dede-Kaplan of West Water Street reported an apparent act of grand larceny on Saturday. She told police that at least one dozen gold pins in the shape of animals, valued at about $1,000 each, had disappeared from her top bureau drawer sometime between mid-February and March 1. Also missing, she said, is a pair of 18-karat yellow-gold cufflinks, valued at $4,500.

Two handmade signs in front of a Suffolk Street residence were reported missing last Thursday morning. Susanna Ungaro told police one of the signs was green, with the name Phil on it; the other was purple, with Ms. Ungaro’s first name on it. The signs cost her $30.


Laurie McNally, of Gallatin Lane, reported unwelcome visitors while she was away for a few weeks. She told police on Saturday night that at some point between March 9 and Friday, when she returned to the house, intruders had made themselves at home. She discovered dishes in the sink, towels on the floor, wineglasses on the counter, a brand of soap she does not use in a soap dish, vomit on a glass sliding door, and wine stains on the kitchen ceiling. She said that nothing was missing, however. There was no sign of forced entry, police said. Ms. McNally is taking corrective action to prevent a repeat performance. 

A three-gallon water jug in a Meehan Terrace residence, which had been three-quarters filled with coins, was pretty much emptied at some point between Feb. 16 and March 2. Mike Kromer had been away during that time and there had been tile and plumbing work done in the house. He said the bottle contained about $800.


The director of the East Hampton Airport on Daniel’s Hole Road called police on the morning of March 27. At some point over the previous couple of days, someone had driven onto one of the runways in an all-terrain vehicle and had run over a taxi light, destroying it. Police classified the incident as criminal mischief. The light has been replaced.