Also on the Logs: 12.27.18

Local Police News

East Hampton

The license plates disappeared from a 1993 GMC Sonoma that was parked at the Whalebone Apartments on Boatheader’s Lane. Joshua A. Planz of Brooklyn, who filed a police report on Dec. 15, said the plates were on his car on Dec. 3 and that it had been parked for an extended period since it had not been registered since 2016. 

East Hampton Village

A deer became stuck in a fence at a house on Further Lane on Dec. 17. The officer and the homeowner were able to remove a rail and free the deer at about 8:30 a.m. The deer ran off; it did not appear injured. 

A man on Cross Highway received a phone call on Friday afternoon from someone he said was a “foreign” individual who claimed to be calling from a pharmacy and needed some information. He did not give him any personal details and phoned police.

The grounds director of the Maidstone Club on Old Beach Lane reported damage that appeared to have been caused by a vehicle at the second-hole green on the 18-hole golf course on Saturday morning at about 8. Shortly after police arrived, two additional damaged areas were found on the fifth-hole green and the eighth-hole fairway of the nine-hole course. Repairs are likely to exceed $5,000. Detectives are investigating. 

A dog was found running loose on Main Beach on Sunday afternoon. A village resident contacted police after trying to contact the dog’s owner to no avail. She eventually took the dog to the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons so that it would be out of the cold until the owner could be found, police said. 


Thomas Saglimbene, a resident of Soundview Drive, called police on Dec. 17 at about 8:10 p.m. after he saw a man rifling around in his 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier, which was parked in his driveway. When the man, who was described as white or possibly Latino, around 5 feet 7 inches tall and wearing a dark sweatshirt, saw the owner, he quickly walked off down Duryea Avenue toward Flamingo Avenue. Nothing was taken from inside the vehicle, police said. They noted there were two other cars in the driveway.