On the Police Logs 12.13.18


Maria Tacuri of Montauk said her son’s gold-colored sixth generation iPod was stolen while he was at the Sportime indoor hockey arena on Abraham’s Path on Friday night. He had left it near the restroom for about 15 or 20 minutes. A police report was filed the next day. 

East Hampton

John L. Brown reported a black Nike bag containing miscellaneous clothing and three prescription bottles was stolen from a 2016 GMC parked in his Kopka Court driveway on the night of Nov. 30. He did not recall locking the vehicle. 

East Hampton Village 

A 55-year-old man went into the Post Office on Gay Lane inquiring about a package he was expecting  on Dec. 4 and then became “irate and unruly” when the postal worker told him it had not yet arrived. When the postal worker asked him to leave, the man threatened to “come over the counter” and said “I will kick your fat ass,” according to the report. The postal employee told police that this has happened several times recently and he would like it to stop. Police were not able to contact the irate man. 

Police were called to the Chase bank on Main Street on Dec. 5 after a woman yelled at another woman at the bank’s A.T.M. at about 11:50 a.m. The woman who allegedly yelled “did not seem okay,” according to the report filed by the first woman. An officer did not find the person in question.

A young man walking on McGuirk Street and Newtown Lane raised suspicion last Thursday just after 2 p.m. He told police who questioned him that he was waiting for a friend to get out of school.  

Sag Harbor Village

A caller who reported a deer stuck in a fence first told police it was at Oakland Cemetery on Dec. 4 at 5:45 p.m., but later said it was the cemetery on Eastville Avenue. Police found no sign of a deer when they arrived.

Police forwarded a complaint to the village’s Code Enforcement Department after investigating an open door at an apparently abandoned house on Lincoln Street last Thursday. A neighbor phoned to report the front door was ajar. When an officer went inside he found some walls and ceilings falling down, creating a hazardous condition. No one was inside, but neighbors are concerned about squatters, police said.  


A Wainscott woman believes she was a victim of fraud. She said she had developed an online relationship with someone she met on Tinder earlier this year and the person soon asked for financial help. Sometime in July, she was asked to buy three iPhone 10 phones, which she sent to the person, with a shipping label he provided, to New Jersey. A few weeks later, she received a call from an unknown number. It was her Tinder friend, who this time claimed to have been arrested in Mexico and was in need of $7,500 for bail. She realized this was suspicious because the person last claimed to be working in Syria. She did not send the money and canceled the phones, but had to keep making installment payments for them because she was unable to return them. She filed a report on Dec. 5.