Accidents Led to Arrests

Three people were arrested on drunken-driving charges after accidents last week. 

A 17-year-old Amagansett boy hit several trees, leading to his arrest late on Saturday night, East Hampton Town police said. The boy, whose name was not released because he is eligible for youthful offender status, crashed a 2011 Mazda in Amagansett at about 11:10 p.m. He told police he was driving on Cranberry Hole Road, near Bendigo Road, when a deer ran into the road causing him to veer into the trees in front of 291 Cranberry Hole Road. 

He was sent to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital in an Amagansett Fire Department ambulance. Once released, he was held for morning arraignment on the misdemeanor driving-while-intoxicated charge. East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky released him on his own recognizance. 

A 49-year-old also blamed a deer when he crashed his 2001 Toyota just after midnight on Sunday. Police said Samuel L. Doughty of East Hampton said he was driving north on Accabonac Road in East Hampton when a deer ran into the road. He said he swerved to avoid a collision and his Toyota struck a tree on the west shoulder of the road at the intersection of Church Lane. He was not hurt.

Police, however, said he appeared intoxicated and charged him with driving while intoxicated, a misdemeanor, at 12:23 a.m. He was held for arraignment later that day. Justice Tekulsky released him on his own recognizance. 

An investigation into an accident on Oct. 24 led to the arrest of Lisa Ann Kleinsmith, 49, of Sag Harbor. Police said she was driving a 2008 GMC pickup truck south on Montauk Boulevard in East Hampton when she hit a tree near the Route 114 intersection at about 11 p.m.

When police arrived, they found Ms. Kleinsmith walking away from the accident with a minor injury on her forehead, but she refused treatment, according to the report. She was charged with misdemeanor D.W.I. and unlawful possession of marijuana, a violation, as a small amount of marijuana was found in her purse, the report said. 

Justice Lisa R. Rana arraigned her on Oct. 25 and released her on her own recognizance.