On the Police Logs 10.11.18

East Hampton 

On Sept. 16, a 2016 Honda HR-V was reported stolen from an Oakview Highway address, though it had been taken three days earlier. The owner, Imelda A. Villanueva, knows who took the car. She told police she would not press charges, but wants it returned. 

An East Hampton man was scammed of nearly $1,000 on Friday after receiving a call from someone claiming to be with the Internal Revenue Service. The caller said his taxes were overdue and instructed him to go to Stop and Shop in East Hampton and purchase $950 in Google Play cards. The cards were redeemed soon after. Police tried to call the caller, but got a voice recording rejecting the call and terminating it. Police referred the victim to the Internet Crime Complaint Center.

Axel Alanis-Garcia of East Hampton told police his wallet was stolen from his car, parked by the clubhouse at the Oakview Highway Mobile Home Park, on the night of Sept. 29. He did not notice it missing until the next day and could not remember whether he had locked the car.

East Hampton Village

A Meadow Way resident called police at 6:15 a.m. on Oct. 1 to report someone knocking on his front door. An officer searched the property and the surrounding area, but found no suspicious activity. 

Police were called to a Main Street shop on the afternoon of Oct. 1 when a woman working alone said a customer had made her feel uncomfortable. She said the man, who was in his 30s, was looking at clothing when he pulled his pants up and said, “Just checking, nothing’s falling out.” Police found the man sitting on a bench outside and said he did not seem to pose a danger to himself or others.

That same day at about 2:30 p.m., an intoxicated man was found sleeping in the woods along the Long Island Railroad tracks on North Main Street. He was asked to leave the area. 

Also on a busy Oct. 1, after three days of looking at a bicycle leaning up against his fence, a Newtown Lane man phoned police to have it removed.

While on patrol during the Hamptons International Film Festival Sunday afternoon, police found a food truck parked in front of Guild Hall. A worker in the truck said it had been arranged with Guild Hall to be there and she was unaware she needed a permit from the village. An officer issued a warning for peddling on public property and she had to leave immediately.


Three men left the Harvest on Fort Pond on Sept. 27 without paying a $173.80 bill. Brienne Grimes called police to the South Emery Street restaurant at 9:30 p.m.  

Lee White filed a report with police on Sept. 26, one day after nearly $35,000 was stolen from his bank account. He said his account was hacked and he was working with bank officials, who told him his money would be returned. 

A man stole a Speedo bikini bottom from Plaza Sports back in July, according to a report released this week. The manager, Jill Fuchs, called police on July 17. Officers were not able to find the man.

Police went to Carl Fisher Plaza at about 2:30 a.m. Saturday after a report that people were taking items from parked vehicles there. Officers did not find anyone in the area, but they did find, in front of the Montauk Bake Shoppe, a broken black PVC push bar and imitation off-road lights, ripped off a 1999 Kia Sportage with Connecticut plates. The car had numerous parking tickets and had recently been documented as an abandoned vehicle.  

After a woman did not pay for a Sept. 23 trail ride at Deep Hollow Ranch, police were asked to get involved. Kate E. Vickers told police on Sept. 26 that the woman had not paid the $285 bill. An officer spoke to the woman, who said she had put a check in the mail for the full amount. Ms. Vickers said she would let police know if the check did not arrive soon. 


Officers were called to a fight at the Springs Tavern on Fort Pond Boulevard on Saturday at about 1:30 a.m. A witness said Proselito Sanchez, the victim, had been trying to break up a fight. Mr. Sanchez declined to press charges and would not cooperate, police said, in identifying his assailant. Police ran his name through their system and found a warrant for his arrest, issued on Aug. 15, 2017. He was taken into custody at 2:22 a.m., but first taken to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital by ambulance for medical evaluation. Once discharged, he was returned to headquarters and then turned over to Suffolk County police.