On the Police Logs 09.28.17

East Hampton

Rebecca Rahn told police on Sept. 15 that a lime-green BMX-style bicycle, worth $500, had been stolen from her Bow Oarsman’s Road backyard. She did not initially report the theft until she saw what appeared to be the same bicycle being ridden into the trails off Middle Highway, toward the sand pit.

An East Hampton woman filed a complaint that on Sept.16, while filling her car with gas at Sam’s Auto on Three Mile Harbor Road, the attendant charged her an additional $14 fee.

East Hampton Village

A 69-year-old Main Street resident called police on Sept. 18 after she received a letter from a man in Toronto saying someone at her address was the next of kin for a dormant bank account worth $7.4 million. She said no one by that name had ever resided at her house.

Police were called to the post office Sept. 18 because a 54-year-old Southampton woman believed someone had flicked ash from a cigarette on her 2016 Kia. With permission from the woman, police wiped away a small amount of ash on the bumper to look for damage. They found none, but reported that the woman wished to document it “so she could make upper management aware of the incident.”

A caller on the afternoon of Sept. 20 was concerned about the safety of a man working on the Ocean Avenue roadway without any traffic cones. The worker, an employee of a paving contractor, was wearing a State Department of Transportation-approved traffic vest, police reported.

A piece of an old utility pole fell onto Cross Highway last Thursday evening. Village and town police officers pushed the pole onto the shoulder.

A taxi driver found a laptop computer at the Main Street bus stop Friday evening and turned it over to police. It is being held at Cedar Street headquarters.

During a routine patrol on Friday evening, an officer found that several wooden police barricades that had been set up in front of the Jewish Center of the Hamptons had been damaged. The damaged pieces were taken out of the roadway. Police found no vehicles in the area that showed damage. 

On Sunday at 3:20 a.m., police stopped a 50-year-old man who appeared to have blood on his face and clothes. The man said he was looking for a friend’s house on Osborne Lane and was lost because his cellphone had died. He said he had fallen on the road earlier, but insisted all was well and refused medical attention. As police were speaking with him, the friend arrived. They had been at the Stephen Talkhouse in Amagansett earlier, he told the officers, with a group of friends, who took a cab to the railroad station, where the man wandered off. Police escorted both men back to their weekend rental house on Osborne Lane.

A neighbor on Jericho Close Lane called police Saturday afternoon to report a possibly illegal taxi business nearby. An officer spoke to a person at the house who said he was just having a small group of friends over for a party. Police found no violations.

On Sunday evening, around 6:15, a resident of West End Road complained about a low-flying plane circling around between her house and the ocean. Police did not observe a plane.


Richard Cella of Seaford, a member of the set of “The Affair,” which has been filming in the area this month, waved down an officer in the Kirk Avenue parking lot Friday morning. Overnight, someone had punctured two of the tires on the hair and makeup trailer. The Firestone tires will cost about $600 to replace. 

John Carroll told police that someone threw a rock through the rear window of his 2002 Mazda pickup truck cap, causing it to shatter, on the afternoon of Sept. 20. The truck was parked in his driveway on South Forest Street. 

Thomas Peccia found a Bronx man asleep on his couch on Otis Road on Saturday morning. Mr. Peccia told police he had no idea how the man got into the house; he thought the doors were locked. He did not pursue charges. Police took the man to Sanger Place, where he had been staying with friends. 


Carol S. Bender of Water Mill filed a larceny complaint on Saturday over five rugs she had left in May at Mark Anthony Rugs on Montauk Highway to be sold. When she went back there this month, she found the business sold and the rugs gone, along with the former owner. The rugs are worth over $2,000, she told police, adding that she just wants them returned. Police reported that there have been several similar complaints against the former owner.