Drivers Were Uncooperative

It was another week of mayhem on local roads, with numerous arrests, several repeat offenders, and many uncooperative drivers.

Nicholas Maggio of Seaford, 28, was charged with felony driving while intoxicated on Monday. East Hampton Town police said they clocked his 2016 Toyota at 50 miles per hour on Amagansett Main Street, where the limit is 30 m.p.h., at around 4:30 a.m. He was cited for tailgating as well.

At his arraignment later that morning, Justice Steven Tekulsky noted that Mr. Maggio had been arrested for drunken driving at least three times, and convicted of Monday’s charge in 2011, automatically raising this charge to the felony level. Police said he initially refused the breath test at Wainscott headquarters but finally consented. According to his court file, the test produced a blood-alcohol reading of .19. Bail was set at $500, which Mr. Maggio posted.

Joshua M. Fishbein of Sag Harbor, 46, driving a 2005 Ford Freestar, ran a stop sign at Bay Street early on the morning of July 12, according to Sag Harbor Village police, who pulled him over on the North Haven bridge. Officers said he was extremely uncooperative, refusing to follow their instructions, and that they had to wrestle him to the ground before he could be handcuffed. At headquarters, Mr. Fishbein refused to take the breath test, police said, leading Justice Lisa R. Rana to suspend his license. Noting his ties to the community, she released him without bail.

Julian G. Maya of Springs, 40, who police said was clocked at 72 m.p.h. on Springs-Fireplace Road in East Hampton early Saturday, reportedly accelerated to 80 when an officer turned on her lights, before finally stopping his 2004 Mini-Cooper. “I had a bad day,” he told the officer, who charged him with unlawful flight in addition to drunken driving. His breath test produced a reported reading of .14, over the .08 number that defines intoxication. Taking note of his local ties, Justice Tekulsky released him without bail.

Another man facing a felony charge, this one for unlicensed driving, is Robert J. Walter, 27, of Islip Terrace. Police said his 2003 Ford had been speeding and swerving before they pulled it over early Friday morning on Edgemere Street in Montauk. Mr. Walter’s license was found to have been suspended last August after a drunken-driving charge, still open, in another jurisdiction, leading to the felony charge. The D.W.I. charges are misdemeanors. He told the court that he commutes weekly to Montauk to work at the Sloppy Tuna. Bail was set at $1,000, which was posted.

An Amagansett woman, Stephanie Bayless-Joret, 52, was driving a 1999 Audi on Fort Pond Boulevard in Springs shortly after midnight Saturday when she swerved across the road and hit a fence on the other side. Ms. Bayless-Joret was not hurt, but was soon under arrest for drunken driving, a misdemeanor that was raised to the aggravated level after her breath test reportedly produced a reading over the .18 mark. She was additionally charged with having a suspended registration.

East Hampton Town Marine Patrol officers, stationed at Three Mile Harbor in East Hampton for Saturday night’s fireworks show, made two arrests, one by land, one by sea. Marla S. Bornstein, 52, of Manhattan was spotted by a harbormaster driving erratically on Springs-Fireplace Road, police said. He followed her 2008 BMW to East Hampton Main Street, where he stopped it and called police. At headquarters, Ms. Bornstein’s breath test produced a .15 reading, police said. She was charged with misdemeanor D.W.I. and unlicensed driving, her license having been suspended in 2012 for failure to answer a summons. She was released without bail.

By sea, harbormasters arrested Gary Joseph Savard, 62, of Hatfield, Mass., who was allegedly speeding in a 1989 Boston Whaler power boat in a “no wake” zone. He was charged with unsafe operation of a vessel. A breath test produced a reading of .12, police said, leading to the week’s only boating-while-intoxicated charge. Mr. Savard posted $250 bail the next morning.

Adam J. Haggiag of Water Mill, 34, was arrested on July 12 at 1 a.m. Town police said they stopped his 1978 BMW on Springs-Fireplace Road near Jackson Street in East Hampton for swerving and that he failed the roadside sobriety tests. This is the second time in the last four years that Mr. Haggiag has been arrested here on drunken-driving charges. In 2013, his headquarters breath test produced a .11 reading, low enough that he was allowed to plead guilty to a reduced charge of driving with ability impaired. This time, police said, he refused to take a breath test and his license was suspended. He posted $500 bail.

Last Thursday afternoon, police went to the parking lot at One Stop Market on Springs-Fireplace Road after receiving a report of a drunken driver. They found Ralph Meyer-Blessau of Springs, 60, behind the wheel of a 2014 GMC, keys in the ignition and engine running. After spending the night in a holding cell, he was released without bail.

Two drivers had their licenses suspended Saturday morning during their arraignments in Sag Harbor. Kevin D. Gray of East Hampton, 63, was arrested Friday night after a caller reported an erratic driver on Hampton Street, headed for the village. Mr. Gray, who refused to take both the roadside tests and the breath test at headquarters, was released without bail.

The other man, David G. Duran Jr., 22, a Sag Harbor resident, was charged early Saturday morning after an officer reportedly saw his 2000 GMC Sierra pickup swerve across Madison Street and hit a curb on the opposite side. He too refused to take a breath test, police said. He was released in the morning without bail, but, like all the other defendants, with a future date in court.