On the Police Logs 04.06.17

East Hampton Village

A swan went for a walk on Main Street Friday afternoon. An officer, who escorted it back to Town Pond, noted that “it did not appear to be injured.”

A woman waiting for the late westbound train on the night of March 27 called police, concerned that a man at the Railroad Avenue station seemed to be following her around. Police asked him to wait at the other end of the platform and to board a different car when the train arrived.


A would-be burglar attempted to break into the house at 268 Fairview Avenue sometime between March 12 and March 17. James Esposito, a contractor working there, told police a sliding Andersen door on the front deck had been badly damaged by someone apparently attempting to pry it open. Access to the house was not gained, according to the report. Replacing the lock and door will cost $1,335, Mr. Esposito said.

Northwest Woods

Bull Run, a road in Northwest Woods, was where, police reported, a driver of a Land Rover plowed over numerous mailboxes and took off sometime between March 20 and March 23. The mailboxes were anchored to the ground and some were made of heavy metal. They were struck with enough force to propel them ten feet from their original location.

Plastic pieces from the car were left behind, which allowed police to suspect that the vehicle involved was a Land Rover. Police checked local body shops, as well as Land Rover customer service, but were unable to come up with a vehicle with “heavy front-end  damage, including headlight damage,” which they said would have occurred. Anyone who may have information about this has been asked to call the police at 631-537-7575.

Police were called to a Springwood Way address on March 29 after receiving a report of a possible assault. John Peele told them he was on the property doing landscaping. He said that when he pulled his truck and wood-chipping machine out of the driveway to allow a garbage truck to enter it, another driver attempted to drive onto the property.

Many of the details as well as the name of the other driver were redacted, but a heated argument ensued during which he reportedly struck Mr. Peele. The men were separated and police were called. Mr. Peele, who wound up with a small blood blister in his mouth, declined to press charges.

On the afternoon of March 19, William Carman of Amagansett found that his Carolina skiff had been removed from its mooring in Three Mile Harbor at the end of Northwest Landing Road and tied down close to the beach. He told police that when he tried to start the engine, it would not turn over. The engine cover had been pried off and a starting device disconnected from the spark plugs, he said. In addition, a small boat, which he had last seen the prior evening, was missing. The total costs of repair and the value of the missing boat were placed at $3,150.

Sag Harbor

A possible fight in the late afternoon on March 28 brought rapid response from police. Called to Choppin Charlie’s Barber Shop on Main Street by a witness, police found a youth who was apparently upset about his haircut and was yelling at the proprietor. The report identified him only by his first name. The  youth’s father, who also was not identified, was reported to have pulled his son backwards out of the shop, only to tumble backwards himself. He said he was not injured and would pay for his son’s haircut.

A Sag Harbor Highway Department employee, Michael Cohen, came across some marijuana in the old burying grounds that border Latham and Madison Streets on Monday morning, and turned it over to the police.