On the Police Logs 03.02.17

East Hampton Village

Police were summoned to Village Hall on Feb. 21, where two Labrador retrievers, one black, one brown, were running around outside. Officers were able to capture the black dog, which was collarless, but the brown one disappeared. The black Lab was turned over to an animal control officer. Police searched for the other dog, but it was not to be found.


Thomas Slome returned to his South Elroy Drive residence Friday after being away for four days. Approaching the front door, he realized that two decorative stone gargoyles that stood sentry on his front step were missing. He told police they would cost $500 to replace.

Sag Harbor

Illusions Jewelry on Main Street was targeted by a female shoplifter Saturday afternoon, who made off with a gold and multicolored handcrafted necklace. Elizabeth Rutkowski told police, who classified the incident as petty theft, that the necklace’s retail price was $115.

Ray Redhead of Terry Drive told police Saturday not to worry if they saw people going in and out of the house that day. A magazine was doing a photo shoot there.

A youth who previously was caught shoplifting at the Flying Point Surf Shop returned there Sunday. Police were called, and the teen was told to stay away or face trespassing charges.

Drivers called police Monday afternoon to report fallen wallboard on Route 114. When an officer arrived, he found a man restacking the wallboard into the bed of the pickup truck it had spilled from.

Sometime between Feb. 19 and Sunday a pane of glass in the rear window of a Bay Street residence was shattered. Scott Mesnick reported the vandalism on Monday.


When David Samot returned Saturday morning to his travel trailers, which he stores off of Tan Bark Trail behind the gravel pit, he discovered that one had a padlock missing. The chain holding its door in place was broken as well, though nothing appeared to be missing from the trailer, he told police. His adjacent trailer was undisturbed. Police checked the grounds but found no other indication of criminal activity. Mr. Samot said he had last been to the site around Valentine’s Day.