Also on the Logs 02.23.17

Local Police Records


The referee of a soccer game at the Sportime Arena on Abraham’s Path ended up making a trip to Southampton Hospital Sunday after taking a sock in the nose from one of the players. Manuel Pucha-Merchan told police that a player disputed his scorekeeping and punched him. The player, who was not identified since he was ultimately not arrested, claimed that the referee punched him first after he disputed the scoring. Both men showed marks from the blows. Neither wanted to press charges, but the referee was taken away by ambulance.

A green shoulder bag possibly left in a car parked overnight Feb. 2 at St. Michael’s Apartments was missing the next day, though Arlene Coulter of Northwest Woods was not certain she had left it there and told police she would keep looking for it. Police made a list of the bag’s contents, including assorted credit cards, her iPhone, her driver’s license, and about $50 in cash.

East Hampton Village

A report of a dead Christmas tree being hurled into a dune at Egypt Beach brought an officer to investigate on Friday morning. A town resident told the officer he had tossed the tree there “because he had seen others on the beach [do it] in the past, and thought it was to save the dune in the winter from erosion,” according to the police report. Told that he was misinformed, the man removed the tree and took it away.


Police were called to an Essex Street house on Feb. 13 after Todd Cassela reported that someone may have tried to get in. Most of the details were redacted from the report, but the intruder apparently failed to gain entry.

Northwest Woods

Chester Schmid of Oyster Shores Road reported Saturday that an Inspire-made white drone in a black case, valued at $2,000, as well as four hard-case lithium batteries worth $1,100, had been taken from his 2001 Sierra pickup last Thursday night. The theft occurred either in front of his house or in front of a friend’s house on Noyac Path in Noyac, he said.

Sag Harbor

A suspicious man wandering through backyards on Palmer Terrace drew the attention of police Friday night. They determined that the culprit was likely a meter reader.

A floating Jet Ski dock disappeared from her Notre Dame Road residence on Saturday, Miriam Cybul reported. A brief investigation turned up the dock a short distance away, on the other side of the Little Narrows, where it had drifted. Ms. Cybul told police she would have it towed back. 


Gary and Donna Nava were away from their Norfolk Drive residence from Feb. 5 to Feb. 15, and returned to find a light on in the kitchen and the back door unlocked. On Friday, they called police, who noticed that a metal object may have been used to open the lock. Nothing was missing, but Mr. Nava told police he wanted the incident documented.


Lawrence Otto of Otto Glass told police on Feb. 4 that $5,000 of handicapped-access ramp equipment had disappeared from a parking lot at a storage facility on Industrial Road, sometime since Oct. 1. He rents a trailer there for his business, he said, and did not have room for the aluminum equipment, so he left it by the trailer. He said he would call the owner of the property to see if possibly the parts had been moved, but wanted the incident documented because he did believe it was an act of theft.