Arrested Four Times This Year, Lands in Jail

A call to the police last Thursday afternoon from a driver who claimed he had been forced off the road by another vehicle ended with the caller in handcuffs, facing several charges including a felony.

It was the second time in less than two weeks that Christopher Scott Verity of Montauk, 23, had been arrested — the fourth time this year, and the second on charges of driving while intoxicated.

According to East Hampton Village police, Mr. Verity’s 2000 Chevrolet was passing Town Pond, headed north at about 2:30 p.m., when, trying to turn left onto Mill Hill Lane, he lost control and hit a curb, flattening his right front tire. He then dialed 911, reporting that he had been forced off the road.

Officers found Mr. Verity and a male passenger standing outside the car. Mr. Verity appeared extremely intoxicated, they said. A witness came forward, saying that there was no other car involved, only the Chevrolet.

Mr. Verity was charged with drunken driving, driving under the influence of cocaine, and unlicensed driving as a felony, the most serious charge.

Back at Cedar Street headquarters, Mr. Verity reportedly passed out. He was transported to Southampton Hospital, treated, and released back to police custody, though not before consenting to have blood drawn to test the level of alcohol and drugs in his system.

Mr. Verity, who was arrested 11 days ago after allegedly battling four police officers outside Liar’s Saloon in Montauk, spent the night in a holding cell. At his arraignment Friday morning, Justice Steven Tekulsky set bail at $7,500; it was not posted, and he was sent to the county jail. He was due back in court yesterday, by which time the results of last Thursday’s blood test were expected to be known.

Jay Michael Plumeri of East Hampton, 46, was driving a 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe early Monday morning west on Gingerbread Lane when he failed to negotiate a right-angle turn, striking the curb and flattening the right front tire, much as Mr. Verity did. Mr. Plumeri, however, just missed hitting a patrol car. The officer turned on her emergency lights, but the Tahoe backed up and drove off, police said, heading south on Toilsome Lane with the officer following. It crossed the double yellow line before stopping, according to the report.

Mr. Plumeri failed roadside sobriety tests, police said, and was taken to headquarters, where he refused to take the breath test. In court later that morning, Justice Lisa R. Rana released him without bail, due to his local ties, but said that he had two prior alcohol-related convictions, both in the 1990s. A conviction on the current charge could jeopardize Mr. Plumeri’s right to hold a driver’s license.

William X. Anguisaca-Garcia of East Hampton, 26, was pulled over on Stephen Hand’s Path near Route 114 in East Hampton a little after midnight Saturday. East Hampton Town police said he was tailgating the vehicle in front of his 2015 GMC.

Mr. Anguisaca-Garcia, who has a prior conviction for felony unlicensed driving, now faces a new charge of the same, along with a D.W.I. charge. Police reported his blood-alcohol count as .09 of 1 percent, just over the .08 number that defines intoxication.

Justice Rana said during his arraignment that his legal situation was perilous. He also has a 2012 conviction for driving with ability impaired by alcohol, a violation, plus a charge of resisting arrest. “And, you are currently on probation,” she said. If the new charges are deemed a violation of probation he could be sentenced to jail.

Bail was set at $7,500, which was posted.

A Chevrolet Suburban headed west on Napeague Saturday night turned left onto Navajo Lane just in front of an oncoming 2005 Suburban, leading to a collision and a trip to the hospital for a passenger in the other car. The accident occurred just before midnight.

James B. Walker of Huntington, 41, was charged with D.W.I. and failure to yield. He was released in the morning without bail, but with a future date on Justice Rana’s criminal calendar.

Stephanie M. Vallacis, 25, was charged early Saturday morning after swerving across lane lines on Two Holes of Water Road in East Hampton, town police said. At headquarters in Wainscott, she refused the breath test and was placed in a holding cell, but police became concerned about her state of mind, and she was taken to Stony Brook University for observation. She is to be arraigned this morning in Justice Court.

Finally, Philip M. Toussaint of Northwest Woods, 31, was arrested early Sept. 21 on Three Mile Harbor Road in East Hampton; police said he had failed to dim the headlights of his 2003 Hyundai for an oncoming patrol car. He was also charged with misdemeanor unlicensed driving. Bail was set later that morning at $250, which was posted.