'Can You Follow Me Home?’

Among motorists charged with driving while intoxicated last week, the highest blood-alcohol level reported by East Hampton Town police was that of Jill P. Klein, 52, of Bayside, Queens. 

Police stopped Ms. Klein’s 2013 Mercedes-Benz on Saturday night near her Montauk vacation house off West Lake Drive, saying she had been driving erratically. Her breath test at Wainscott headquarters reportedly produced a reading of .277. The three-digit figure the test provides is always rounded down in the defendant’s favor, with the resulting .27 number well over the .18 figure that raises the misdemeanor charge to the more serious aggravated drunken driving level. If the reading had hit .31, police would have taken Ms. Klein to the hospital as a precaution.

She was released without bail at her arraignment Sunday morning. Her husband was in the courtroom to drive her home. 

Another 52-year-old woman arrested over the weekend on a drunken-driving charge was Awilda Mercado. Police said her 2002 Chevrolet was speeding and swerving across the double yellow lines Sunday night, headed north on Three Mile Harbor-Hog Creek Road, when they pulled her over near Gardiner’s Lane in Springs. She reportedly told the arresting officer that she had had two glasses of wine before asking, “Can you follow me home?” 

Instead, she was placed under arrest and taken to headquarters. She lives on James Lane in East Hampton. Because she refused the breath test, telling police, “I’m going to wait for my fiancé,” she is not eligible for a hardship license, which would have allowed her to drive to and from her job.

He was in the courtroom the next morning, and Ms. Mercado was released after he posted her bail of $750.

A Springs woman, Dawn A. Haney, 25, was charged early Saturday morning after crashing her 2014 Toyota into a utility pole on Springs-Fireplace Road in East Hampton. Ms. Haney, who told police she was coming from the Stephen Talkhouse in Amagansett, assented to take the breath test in Wainscott, which reportedly produced a reading of .16, twice the number that defines intoxication. 

“There was an accident,” East Hampton Town Justice Steven Tekulsky said during her arraignment later that morning. “It involved you and a pole. You are fortunate that you were not hurt, and fortunate that no one else was hurt.” He released Ms. Haney to her parents, who were in the courtroom, without bail, but with a future date on his criminal calendar.

Other recent D.W.I. arrests were those of Luis Miguel Sagbay-Coyago of Springs and Felix Carmona Carrasco of Sag Harbor. Police said they found Mr. Sagbay-Coyago in his 2010 Dodge Sunday night, stopped with the engine running, parked diagonally across Edwards Avenue in Amagansett, blocking traffic. His breath test reading of .14 confirmed the D.W.I. charge, said police, who also charged him with unlicensed driving. He was released Monday after posting $300 bail.

On Election Day, shortly after sunset, town police arrested Mr. Carrasco, 36, on Cedar Street in East Hampton, saying his 1996 Dodge pickup truck had crossed the double yellow lines repeatedly. His breath test produced the lowest reading of the week, though still high enough to trigger the charge. A longtime resident of the area, he was released without bail the next day to await his next appearance before Justice Tekulsky.

An 18-year-old East Hampton High School student was charged with driving while high on marijuana early Sunday morning. The Amagansett resident, driving a 2001 GMC Jimmy, was speeding, police said when they caught up with him on Montauk Highway in Wainscott. 

The arresting officer reported a strong smell of marijuana in the car, and the youth reportedly admitted that he had been smoking. 

Besides the misdemeanor charge and charges of speeding and crossing lane lines, the teen was charged with unlicensed driving. His license has been suspended at least twice, which is a sore subject for Justice Tekulsky, who routinely warns defendants with suspended licenses that he will send them to jail if they are arrested on the same charge while their current case is pending.

The youth, whose name was not released because of his age and the fact that the charge is a misdemeanor, not a felony, was bailed out by his father, who was in the courtroom for the arraignment.