On the Police Logs 12.04.14


A pickpocket was caught on video at Indian Wells Tavern around midnight on Nov. 15, reaching into a jacket pocket of a patron and stealing her wallet. The victim, Jacqueline Albright-Kehoe, said she did not want to press charges as long as the thief either returned the Coach purse, which had $30 in cash and a debit card in it, or reimbursed her for the stolen items. The tavern’s manager, however, told police that the suspect is no longer welcome there. Police got in touch with the suspect’s attorney, Stephen Grossman, who arranged to have the victim compensated.

A former employee of the Bayberry garden, house, and landscaping company apparently filled his personal vehicles’ gas tanks at the Gulf station on Indian Wells Highway and Main Street, using the company account, numerous times over the past year before he left the company. David Seeler, the owner of Bayberry, said that the man had helped himself to more than $1,400 in gasoline, adding that he would not press charges as long as the company is fully reimbursed.

East Hampton

Property damage occurred on Osborne Lane during the overnight hours on Halloween, police reported. Alex Talasko said that a window over his door had been damaged by a pellet gun.

East Hampton Village

Three UpIsland men who told police they were trying to raise awareness about breast cancer by selling items from Makeover Essentials on Main Street on Nov. 25 were issued warnings against peddling on public property after they failed to produce a permit or documentation. The men left the area.

Two dogs reportedly running loose on Lily Pond Lane Saturday a little before noon had disappeared by the time police arrived to investigate.

Birdshot struck a house on Briar Patch Road Saturday afternoon. Police tracked down the hunter, who was on the other side of Georgica Cove, more than the required 500 feet from the house. The hunter agreed to point his shotgun away from the house.


A manager at the Royal Atlantic Motel called police on Nov. 23 about damage caused by an unruly guest. Arshad Javed said that a Bellmore woman had checked into the oceanfront motel the night before. Other guests on the floor told management that they had heard a series of arguments between the woman and the person she was staying with overnight. When the two checked out, Mr. Javed discovered a hole in the room’s bathroom door. He did not want to press charges, but did want the incident documented so that the hotel could be reimbursed for the damage.


Police paid a visit to the Sea Crest Resort the day before Thanksgiving. Harold Jones, a manager there, told police that a trespasser was found in one of the rooms. The man had been seen on the property before. Police checked the grounds and employees checked the rooms, but the intruder was gone.

Sag Harbor

Jill Musnicki called police after she found insulation installed in the basement of her Madison Street house despite not having hired anyone to do it. She had been expecting a washing machine repairman, and thought the two men she saw working in her basement on Nov. 24 were there to fix that appliance. Ms. Musnicki supplied the license plate on the workers’ truck, and police tracked it to a drywall insulation company. The owner said the workers insulated the wrong house on Madison Street.

A 14-year-old girl on Meadowlark Lane called police about possible intruders on Nov. 26 at about 3:45 p.m. It turned out to be the rattling of a glass storm door.


A real estate agent reported on Nov. 23 that an Elvira Street house that she has been showing appeared to have been slept in that weekend. Traci Robinson said that sheets on the bed were disturbed “on numerous occasions,” the bathroom had been used, and various household items misplaced. Police are investigating.

Claiming to be from the Internal Revenue Service, scammers targeted a Kings Point Road resident who had responded to a message left on his answering machine. Ira Goldstein told police that the caller said he owed the government almost $5,000 and that if he did not wire half the money to a location he was given, he would be picked up by “Sheriff Jackson Brown.” Police told Mr. Goldstein that this is a common scam.


Chimene Macnaughton, the manager of Wainscott Main Wines and Spirits, reported that a woman came into the store on Nov. 24 and began walking around, looking at wines. Ms. Macnaughton stepped away from the counter, and when she returned, the woman was gone, as was a bottle of Et Fille Kalita Vineyard Pinot Noir, priced at $55. The store’s surveillance camera captured the woman’s image, however, and Ms. Macnaughton turned the video over to police, who are investigating.

A Mastic Beach man who was mailing his daughter’s birth certificate to her had it stolen at the Wainscott Post Office on Nov. 6. William Nuss said he had placed the certificate on a counter and was asking a clerk a question when someone walked off with it. Police told him to call the hospital where she was born to get a copy and advised him that his daughter should monitor her financial accounts for possible fraud.