On the Police Logs 11.06.14


An employee of D’Canela, a restaurant on Main Street, was punched in the face several times during a dispute with a patron early Sunday morning. The patron, a male, had allegedly entered the women’s bathroom and pushed a female out of it. That prompted the employee to step in, and punches followed. The patron was forced to leave the restaurant and told not to return. Police, who spoke to both men, reported that neither pressed charges.

East Hampton

A skateboard was stolen from the locker of a 17-year-old student at East Hampton High School on Oct. 15. The student told police that one youth had taken the skateboard and gone down the hall on it, while a second teen then picked it up and left the building. The parents of the transgressors were contacted, and the pair agreed to make restitution, $70 each.

An Osborne Lane resident told police she had been sitting at her kitchen table Halloween night when she heard glass break. Gabrielle Bamberger said it would cost about $200 to repair the glass on the front storm door, which had been hit either by a BB gun or a rock.

The community room at Windmill Village on Accabonac Road was the scene of an altercation Saturday night. A female resident summoned police after, she said, she had been shoved and cursed at by a male resident. She told police she had entered the room and turned on the light and that the man got angry because he was watching a movie. However, a witness told police the woman had been the aggressor. No charges were filed.

Police were called to a Jason Court house the night of Oct. 29. The residents, Patrick Lyons and Dennis Crowley, reported that they had called someone to repair their Viking refrigerator, who looked at it, left, and didn’t return for a couple of months. When the repairman eventually returned, he told them that “there was nothing wrong with the freezer at all, and it didn’t need to be fixed.” The  residents called police because “they were upset with the situation and were offended.”

East Hampton Village

A Fredricka Lane woman told police a spotlight outside her house was disturbing her. Police arrived, but the light was off.

On Halloween evening vandals struck a car with a paintball at the intersection of North Main Street and Pantigo Road.


Someone got into his 1998 Chevrolet parked on Duryea Avenue on the evening of Oct. 24, Michael Cole told police, and made off with $20 and a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, which he valued at almost $400.

Sag Harbor

A “Crack for Sale” sign was found in front of the Whaling Museum on the morning of Oct. 29. Police removed it and spoke to Southampton Town police, who have confiscated several similar signs on North Haven. Those officers found the woman responsible for the signs, who said she was doing it “to get back at her former boyfriend.”

In response to a call, police found a man sleeping under a tree by the handball court at Mashashimuet Park on Oct. 29 at about 5:50 p.m. They woke him up, and he told them he was simply tired. He left on his own steam.

Flying Point Surf & Sport on Main Street reported the theft of several items on Oct. 29. At about 7:15 p.m., a rabbit-fur hat, worth $120, and a thermos water bottle, worth $30, were reported stolen. A saleswoman told police a woman had tried on the hat and left with it without paying. Later, her manager reported other items missing, including a black Patagonia vest valued at $180, a $34 Neph baseball hat, two knit beanies worth $28, and a $44 fanny pack.

Police were called to Page at 63 Main on Main Street during a party there on Halloween. A man called 911 at 10:05 p.m. after a bartender threw him out of the restaurant, claiming that he had been pushed to the ground. The bartender told police the man, who he said was angry that he was helping other customers, had fallen accidentally while he was removing him from the restaurant. Neither man wanted to press charges.


Vandals struck a car that Marleny Nieto had parked on Boatheader’s Lane the afternoon of Oct. 25, smashing the front passenger window.


Police were called to LTV Studios on Industrial Road a little before noon on Oct. 16 after a man entered the facility and refused to leave. When questioned, the intruder told police he was “entitled to use the facility because LTV is funded by the town” and he wanted studio space. Seth Redlus, the manager, explained that even though LTV receives public funding, it is a private company. The visitor left after police warned that he would be charged with trespassing if he returned.