It Was a D.W.I. Felony Charge This Time

On Montauk Highway near Second House Road in Montauk early last Thursday, a westbound 2004 Chevy Silverado passed an East Hampton Town police officer at about 45 miles per hour in a 30 m.p.h. zone while zigzagging across the road, according to a police report.

The officer pulled the car over near Lincoln Road and police said the driver, Brian Schlitt, 41, of Amagansett, who appeared intoxicated, could not produce a license or any identification. The officer asked him to step out of the car and perform roadside sobriety tests, which Mr. Schlitt allegedly failed.

When police checked with the State Department of Motor Vehicles they were told that Mr. Schlitt had a restricted license due to a prior conviction for driving while intoxicated. The conviction had been handed down just two weeks before in East Hampton Town Justice Court.

Mr. Schlitt was charged with felony drunken driving and taken back to headquarters, where he allegedly refused three requests to take a second breath test. He was held overnight. Justice Lisa Rana set bail the next morning at $5,000. The Silverado was impounded.

Town police stopped a Land Rover speeding through Amagansett toward Montauk in the early morning hours after Memorial Day and arrested its young driver, who was charged with drunken driving.

Rachel N. Rattenni, 20, of East Hampton was headed east on the highway at about 4:30 in the morning on May 29, with several friends in the car, when she passed an officer near Hedges Lane, according to a police report. The officer pulled out and followed the Rover as it weaved across the road, crossing the yellow lines and driving onto the shoulder while doing an estimated 45 to 50 miles per hour in a 30 m.p.h. zone.

The officer turned on her overhead lights but Ms. Rattenni’s 2004 Rover allegedly kept on, nearly striking the new median strip near the Amagansett I.G.A. The car pulled over after the officer turned on her siren.

Ms. Rattenni had trouble walking to the rear of the car, the report says, and allegedly failed a roadside sobriety test as well as a breath test. Back at headquarters she again failed a breath test, police said, with a reported blood-alcohol level of .16. Her friends took a taxi to their Montauk destination while she spent the night in jail. She was released in the morning without bail, due to her long residence here, and will appear in court at a future date.

Another D.W.I. arrest on the same day could lead to deportation for the driver, police said. Sergio A. Lojano-Caguana, 23, of East Hampton, was at the wheel of a 2001 Honda with Illinois plates when police spotted him speeding at an estimated 50 m.p.h. on Gardiner Lane near Three Mile Harbor Road in Springs. The limit there is 30 m.p.h. Mr. Lojano-Caguana was having difficulty controlling the car, police said, swerving toward the roadside, where he almost hit several pedestrians, and barely avoiding a collision with a pursuing squad car.

Asked to step out of the car, the driver did so, but failed the field sobriety test administered by an officer as well as a breath test, according to police.

As other officers interviewed bystanders, Mr. Lojano-Caguana was arrested and taken to headquarters, where he refused to take the in-station breath test. He asked to be allowed to call a lawyer, police said, but when given a chance to do so he declined, according to the report.

Bail was set last Thursday morning at $1,000. Police said Mr. Lojano-Caguana is now in the custody if Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents.

Melanie L. Marchant, 44, of East Hampton, was arrested and charged with first-time D.W.I. at about 1 a.m. last Thursday. Ms. Marchant was southbound in a 2008 Ford with Florida plates on Route 114 near Cove Hollow Road in East Hampton when an officer noticed that she was having trouble driving in a straight line. The report adds that she crossed back and forth onto the shoulder several times.

Ms. Marchant allegedly failed field sobriety tests and a breath test as well, before being arrested. Back at headquarters, she declined to take another breath test and was held overnight for a morning arraignment. Bail was set at $500.