On The Police Logs 05.10.12

Police News

On the afternoon of April 29, Herb Kiembock, manager of Amagansett Hardware, reported that several bags of fertilizer, lime, and manure, together valued at $300, had been taken from behind the store sometime since April 14. Mr. Kiembock has installed a security camera to monitor that area.

East Hampton

On April 28, Iris Zamora of Cosdrew Lane told police that after being  away for the month of April she had returned home to discover that someone had cut down four trees and removed a bush from her property. She wondered whether a landscaping company might have mistaken her address for another.

An Oakview Highway resident told police last Thursday night that her landlord had been harassing her, entering her house when she was away and, on one occasion, opening the windows. She said she plans to move on June 1 and wants the man to stay away from her in the meantime. Police spoke with the landlord, who agreed to stay away.

East Hampton Village

An Amagansett woman told police last Thursday afternoon that her black Tommy Hilfiger wallet had been stolen from her handbag after she left it unattended during lunch at Rowdy Hall. She provided police with a description of a man who had been sitting next to her, and said the wallet had contained, among other things, a $100 bill. An officer spotted a man matching the description on Fithian Lane and Main Street. The man, who seemed intoxicated, denied the theft. The officer searched him and did not find the wallet. Later that day the manager of Rowdy Hall reported finding it in a toilet bowl tank, and remembered that the man in question had paid with a $100 bill. Detectives are investigating.

Police took a call Friday afternoon reporting a raccoon trapped in a garbage can on David’s Lane. When an officer arrived, the caller said the raccoon had gotten out of the can and wandered off down the Nature Trail.

An electrical contractor working at 42 Highway Behind the Pond stopped an officer on April 30 to say that 40 feet of copper wiring, valued at $400, had been stolen from that location sometime between March 15 and that date.


Eddy DeJesus-Depre of South Euclid Avenue, the owner of Montauk Taxi, called police on the morning of April 2 to report that one of his vehicles had been vandalized during the night. Both passenger-side tires were slashed and one of the rear windows was shattered. A rock wrapped in a sock was found nearby. Mr. DeJesus-Depre told police he had in the past had some problems with another Montauk cab company, but that those issues were in the past and he did not suspect the owner of that company as the vandal. Officers investigated but could find no witnesses.