On The Police Logs 02.16.12

June O’Reilly of Gardiner Drive called police on Feb. 7 about a possible case of identity theft. She said she applied for an international driver’s license from a Web site on Jan. 23 and submitted a copy of her driver’s license, a photo, and her signature along with other personal information. Ms. O’Reilly’s Visa credit card was charged $39.99, and she was told she would receive the license in about three weeks. The license never arrived, and when Ms. O’Reilly tried to access the Web site, it was gone.

A Hampton Jitney bus hit a deer on Saturday on Montauk Highway, police reported.

East Hampton
John Donahue of Abigail’s Path received a phone call on Feb. 2 from a man who identified himself as the boyfriend of Mr. Donahue’s niece. The man asked Mr. Donahue to send $5,200 to him in Peru for bail money as he had been arrested for driving while intoxicated. He wanted Mr. Donahue to send the money by Western Union in two installments, the first for $2,500 on Feb. 2 and the second for $2,700 on Feb. 3. Mr. Donahue complied with the first installment and was told that evening by Western Union that it was a scam and that his money would be returned.

Rodrigo Guaman of North Main Street reported to police on Feb. 4 that he had received several phone calls from a man he knows who left a voice mail message saying that, “if Mr. Guaman does not stop talking to his ex-girlfriend, bad things would happen to him.” Mr. Guaman is friends with the man’s ex-girlfriend, he told police, and he would like the calls to stop.

Police said a car hit a deer on Stephen Hand’s Path near Route 114 on Feb. 8.

Clara Garnica of Quarty Circle told police last Thursday that she had received threatening phone calls. Ms. Garnica said a woman left voice mail messages saying “she knows where she lives, and she is going to come to her house and hit her.” Ms. Garnica is working with police to identify the woman.

East Hampton Village
Linda Schellinger of Springs turned in 22 Remington 20-gauge shotgun shells to police on Feb. 6. She requested that they be destroyed.

Police were called to the parking lot of the East Hampton Library on Feb. 8 to investigate a dog possibly in distress in a car. Instead, they discovered a dog sleeping inside a silver Honda. Police found the dog’s owner, who said she was going to leave the library soon.

Police got a call from an owner of a Jeep who said he had parked it on Railroad Avenue last Thursday, but when he returned, its driver’s-side mirror was gone.

Sag Harbor
Kathryn Heine told police on Feb. 7 that she replied to an e-mail she thought was from Capital One Bank and supplied her name and date of birth. Shortly afterward, $971 was stolen from her account.

Three bicycles, together worth $654, were snatched from Barbara Dayton’s house on Howard Street last Thursday. She called police later that day to inform them that she had found the bikes, undamaged, in an “undeveloped house” nearby on Hawthorne Avenue.

A GPS device and a nurse’s emergency medical technician bag, valued at $400 all told, were taken from Kathleen Blume’s unlocked car, which was parked on Hartley Boulevard Feb. 7. Ms. Blume “believes there were no medicines or needles in the bag.” The missing items include a blood pressure monitor, a thermometer, and a stethoscope.

A Robert August longboard, a silver surfboard bag, and a Robert August fin, together worth $1,200, were stolen from the back of Emily Shafonda’s pickup truck, which was parked on Woodbine Drive on Jan. 30. The longboard, from the What I Ride series of surfboards, had an identifying yellow stripe, she said.

Christopher Sullivan of Harbor Boulevard said he had received a phone call last Thursday from a man telling him, “A world of hell will come down on you if I don’t receive my deposit back.” Police advised the man to have no further contact with Mr. Sullivan and to hire an attorney if necessary. Mr. Sullivan said he does not owe anyone any money.

David Cavalier told police that a man pulled into his driveway on Sayre’s Path on Jan. 30 and took a piece of firewood, which he valued at $10, from his firewood pile. Mr. Cavalier said he confronted the man, who fled in an Eastern Locating Services vehicle. Mr. Cavalier called the company, and eventually the man returned with the firewood and apologized.