On the police Logs 08.18.11

A Body Tech business sign on Main Street, valued at $500, was destroyed on the night of Aug. 14. An employee, Aldi Binoli, reported the damage.

East Hampton
Two lime-green bikes and a blue one, together valued at $600, were taken from Jack Gaybrick’s backyard on Buell Lane Extension last Thursday.

East Hampton Village
Julie Kenner-Case spotted an injured fawn on Egypt Lane on Aug. 8. Police found it nearby on Pondview Lane, dead, and notified the Highway Department.
Chris Avena of Southold told police that Arthur Stein of Amagansett and Manhattan struck an unknown man with his cane at BookHampton last Thursday. According to Mr. Avena, Mr. Stein was trying to read a book and the stranger was talking loudly on his cellphone. Mr. Stein told police he lifted his cane but did not strike anyone with it. The cellphone-user bought books and left the store, declining to pursue charges.
Jill Jarzombek of Calverton called police on Aug. 11 to help her get her 2005 gray Pontiac out of a parking space on Main Street.
Coreen Demartino of West End Road informed police on Saturday that a black Range Rover was parked in front of a fire hydrant and partially blocking her driveway. The vehicle belongs to Dennis Centincaya of Montauk and Brooklyn, who moved the car, but not before receiving two parking summonses.
Peter Turino of Cooper Lane reported loud voices and shouting coming from a house nearby on Sunday. Upon investigation police found the noise coming from a hot tub at Chris Skarinka’s house. Mr. Skarinka said they were getting out of the tub, and there would be no more noise.

While Sarah Colivet was at work Aug. 7 at Ruschmeyer’s, her unlocked white bike with the word “Electrica” written on the chain guard, valued at $450, was lifted from the bike rack.
A black iPod touch, a black Alias cellphone, and an On-Star antenna, total value $600, were taken from Lynn Downey of West Islip’s unlocked room at the Royal Atlantic between Aug. 5 and last Thursday. Ms. Downey is an owner of the motel, and she told police that she wanted to show why it needs more security.
Daniel Boerem of East Lake Drive picked up his blue Giant bike, valued at $700, from Montauk Bike Shop on Saturday and headed to his house with it in the back of his pickup. When he arrived, the bike was no longer in the truck. Mr. Boerem said he does not believe it fell out, but that someone removed it while he was stopped in traffic on Main Street.

Sag Harbor
Cathryn Devoll left her purse hanging on a chair at Murf’s BackStreet Tavern on Aug. 10. At the end of the evening it was gone. Ms. Devoll later found it in an alley, with everything in it except for $100 cash. Security cameras at the bar captured a woman taking it.
A bicycle belonging to Theodore Conklin was snatched between Aug. 11 and Aug. 12 from outside the Art Galleries at 75 Washington Street.
David Vonoehsen told police that an unknown driver struck his vehicle and drive off. It happened on Aug. 12 in front of the Juicy Naam on Division Street.

Jamie Hastings of Tyrone Drive said a neighbor walked into her house on Sunday and seemed “disoriented and extremely intoxicated.” The woman was removed from the house. Ms. Hastings told police the neighbor has done this to other neighbors and “has made everyone afraid.” Police told the woman to avoid Ms. Hastings’s property, and she agreed.
A plastic cash box valued at $50, with $900 cash inside, was taken from the booth run by the Amagansett Farmers Market during the Saturday market at Ashawagh Hall on July 30. All three employees who were working with the cash box denied stealing the money.
An iPhone 4, an iPod Nano, and a leather case, altogether worth $847, were taken Monday from Daniel Von Behr-Negendonck of Watermill’s unlocked car, parked on Woodbine Drive.
Stephanie Daigle of Glade Road left keys to her silver Tracker, valued at $2,500, in the center console while she was at Wolfie’s Tavern Friday. When she left the bar to return to her car, it was gone.

Three deer ran in front of a twin-engine Cessna 340 on Aug. 5 while Kevin Henshaw of Wantagh was trying to land on the runway at East Hampton Airport. No one was injured, and the East Hampton Fire Department was on the scene to handle a fuel leak.
According to Eric Lipsenthal and Guy Beaudu, a group of about 12 Verizon employees, who are on strike, circled their parked van on Aug. 8 on Main Street near Town Line Road. Someone in the group pulled the valve stem from the left front tire, the men told police, and it resulted in a flat, with total damage of $150.