On the Police Logs

A six-wheeled box truck loaded with cargo got stuck on May 16 when it was driven off the road and onto the steep edge of the village green on East Hampton’s Main Street. Village Police Detective Sgt. Greg Brown said heavy rain played a role in the mishap. Police called Rapid Recovery to tie down the truck and winch it off the dirt so that it did not tip over. No tickets were issued. Durell Godfrey


Police were called to the Stephen Talkhouse on Main Street on May 10 after a patron who had been removed from the bar got aggressive. The man had been smoking a cigarette, which is illegal at the bar, and trying to tell the band what music to play, the report said. When he was removed, around 11 p.m., he “angrily attempted to re-enter the establishment, and made an aggressive movement, which made physical contact” with Robert Nasatka of Shelter Island. Mr. Nasatka said he was not injured, and he did not pursue any charges. 

East Hampton

On May 14, Barbara A. Spivack of Port Washington was trying to enter the East Hampton Town Recycling Center, for which she had a permit, when she realized it had been stolen off her 2015 Infiniti. When she filed a report at police headquarters in Wainscott, she said she did not know exactly when the sticker disappeared but that it was between May 4 and 14. 

East Hampton Village

Police were called to an Apaquogue Road property on May 15 in response to a report of a possible unknown person on the premises around 10 p.m. When the officer arrived, he found multiple deer, but no person.  

Seven signs belonging to the National Psoriasis Foundation were found on public property throughout the village last week. On Saturday morning, police located someone responsible for them, returned the signs, and informed her that the village code makes it illegal to post signs on public property. She was issued a warning.

A 21-year-old man filed a complaint Saturday that his SIM card had been removed from his cellphone after he accidentally left it in an Uber earlier that morning. He told police he took the Uber from Amagansett to McGuirk Street around 1:30. When he got inside his house, he realized he had forgotten his cellphone, contacted the company, and was able to retrieve it from the driver. However, he said, the SIM card was gone. He has since deactivated it.

A 25-year-old West End Road resident found a black Pomeranian with a black collar, but no nametag, near the Exxon gas station on Montauk Highway Saturday at around 9 p.m. East Hampton Animal Control was not available and she decided to take the dog home for the night and contact the Animal Rescue Fund of the Hamptons and animal control in the morning.

Loud music reported on Saturday on Pleasant Lane at around 10:45 p.m. was coming from a first communion party, the homeowner told police. The party was wrapping up in any event, and the music was turned off. 

A passer-by reported five men standing on the corner of Toilsome and Buell Lanes with no apparent vehicle on Sunday at 1:12 a.m. Police checked but did not find anyone.


Construction workers on Greenwich Street spotted a pile of hay bales and cut brush smoldering and partially on fire on May 7. They extinguished the fire. Three days later, the homeowner learned about the fire and asked the caretaker to contact police, who took photographs and searched the area but found nothing suspicious. Tom Baker, the assistant chief fire marshal, told police the fire was most likely caused by spontaneous combustion due to decomposition within the hay bales.