Early Morning Accident Results in Injury, Arrest

Chris W. Layton, left, and Sahm Adrangi, center, appeared in East Hampton Town Justice Court on Saturday following their drunken driving arrests. T.E. McMorrow

A two-vehicle crash on Montauk Highway in Amagansett early Saturday morning, in which one of the drivers was injured, resulted in the arrest of a summer renter on misdemeanor charges of drunken driving and cocaine possession.

According to police, Sahm Adrangi, 35, was driving a 2015 BMW convertible at about 3 a.m. on Montauk Highway near Bluff Road when he collided with a Ford sport-utility vehicle that had been headed in the opposite direction.

Police did not release the name of the Ford's driver nor describe her injuries. A portion of the highway was closed for some time after the accident.

According to police, both drivers said that the other had crossed over the double yellow line before the accident. Police ticketed Mr. Adrangi for speeding. He refused to submit to a breath-alcohol test at police headquarters.

After being brought into East Hampton Town Justice Court Saturday morning, Mr. Adrangi told Justice Steven Tekulsky that he wanted to defer his arraignment until his next court appearance, so that he could have his attorney present.

Because Mr. Adrangi had refused to take the breath test at police headquarters, Justice Tekulsky told him that his drivers license was suspended.

Justice Tekulsky set bail at $1,000, which Mr. Adrangi posted at police headquarters.

Separately, police received a call that a man was slumped behind the wheel of a 1992 Porsche convertible in the Viking Fleet parking lot in Montauk at around 9:30 on Friday night.

When an officer responded, the Porsche was gone. Another officer spotted it shortly afterward being driven by Chris W. Layton, 50, and made a traffic stop, leading to his arrest. He said in court that he was visiting a friend here for the weekend. 

At police headquarters, Mr. Layton’s breath test produced a reading of .29 of 1 percent, leading to a charge of aggravated drunken driving. He deferred his arraignment until his next court appearance, on Sept. 1, and posted $1,000 bail at police headquarters.