Update: Police Responding to Sag Harbor Hostage Report Find a Hoax

Guests at the American Hotel were asked to leave their rooms in the early morning hours Wednesday while police investigated a report that turned out to be unfounded. Doug Kuntz

Update, 5:15 p.m.:  Police thought they were responding to a hostage situation after a caller threatened to harm family members and threatened violence to officers who answered the call early on Wednesday morning. It turned out to be a hoax.

Sag Harbor Village Police Chief Austin J. McGuire said police were dispatched to an apartment at 45 Main Street, which is the address of the American Hotel, regarding a reported violent domestic incident at 1:45 a.m. There are apartments above a store in the same building as the hotel.

"Due to the nature of this call, Sag Harbor Police Department activated the East Hampton Emergency Services Unit, which consists of highly trained officers from the East Hampton Town and Village Police Departments and Sag Harbor Police Department, along with the Southampton Town Police Department Emergency Services Unit," Chief McGuire said.

The New York State police responded with troopers, a K-9 unit, and members from the Bureau of Criminal Investigation, which included hostage negotiators, he said. A K-9 unit from the Suffolk County Sheriff’s office also responded along with hostage negotiators from the Suffolk County Police Department.

Sleeping guests at the American Hotel were awakened in the early morning hours and asked to leave their rooms for a time as a precaution as the hotel was evacuated. 

"After a thorough investigation and search of the area, this call was deemed unfounded," Chief McGuire said. The state police's Bureau of Criminal Investigation is continuing the investigation. Anyone with information regarding this incident is asked to contact the N.Y.S.P. Troop L Headquarters at 631-756-3300.

Originally: Police are investigating what appears to be a false report of domestic violence in Sag Harbor Village early Wednesday. 

At around 1:45 a.m., village police were notified of an "active violent domestic in an apartment on Main Street," according to Chief Austin J. McGuire. "Due to the severity of what the caller was reporting, additional resources were brought in. After a thorough investigation, this incident is considered unfounded at this time." 

Chief McGuire to declined to release further details on Wednesday morning. 

Sleeping guests at the American Hotel, which is on Main Street, were awakened in the early morning hours and asked to leave their rooms for a time as a precaution as the hotel was evacuated. 

The Sag Harbor Volunteer Ambulance Corps stood by at its ambulance barn for four hours, but its help was not required.