Keeping East Hampton Well, 1900 to 1981

Hugh King and Ken Cullum will deliver a lecture titled “Dr. David Edwards and Dr. Doris Zenger: Healing a Village” tomorrow evening at Clinton Academy in East Hampton, beginning at 7.

“Dr. Dave,” as he is still called in memory by some in East Hampton, “hung his shingle on what was known then as the Purple House, a small building between The Star and the East Hampton Library,” in 1900, according to a 1999 article in The Star.

“Over his 63-year practice, Dr. Edwards delivered thousands of babies, set perhaps as many fractures, successfully treated yet another smallpox outbreak among menhaden steamer crewmen at Promised Land, Amagansett, and diagnosed what was thought to have been the first local case of Rocky Mountain spotted fever, or ‘tick fever,’ carried by dog ticks, on Gardiner’s Island.”

Dr. Zenger was another quintessential old-time family physician, a pediatrician who became interested in medicine because she had, as a child, suffered from a condition called osteomyelitis and been operated on repeatedly (by Dr. Dave, of course).

From her home office on Hither Lane, Dr. Zenger treated practically every child in town between the early 1960s and her death in 1981.

The talk is part of the East Hampton Historical Society’s winter series, “Doctors, Housecalls, and Hospitals: Keeping Well in Old East Hampton.” Admission is free.