Skip to main content

On the Police Logs 10.10.19

Thu, 10/10/2019 - 12:13

East Hampton

A Dewalt tool bag with assorted tools worth $240 went missing from a Summerhill Landscape work truck while it was parked on Three Mile Harbor Road between Sept. 27 and Sept. 30. Shane B. O’Keefe of Hampton Bays filed the report.

About $1,300 in cash, which had been left in a duffel bag inside a car on Abraham’s Path, was stolen Saturday or Sunday. John J. Amicucci said the money had been clipped with a clothespin to the outer pocket of his duffel bag. The bag was facing toward the passenger-side seat of his Ford Escape and out of direct view, he told police.

Video surveillance caught a man on Saturday just before 4 a.m., dressed all in black and wearing a black mask and gloves, trying to gain access to cars in a Three Mile Harbor Road driveway. He checked the door handles on the vehicles, which were all locked, before leaving on a bicycle and heading north on Three Mile Harbor Road.

East Hampton Village

Police received word of a possibly intoxicated man standing on the sidewalk near Ocean Avenue and James Lane on the afternoon of Sept. 30. An officer spoke to a 52-year-old man who said he has arthritis, making it difficult to walk. There were no problems.

A 40-year-old man was found sleeping on Railroad Avenue on Oct. 1 at about 7:30 a.m. Police were able to wake him up, but reported that “due to his high level of intoxication” he was unable to speak. The East Hampton Village Ambulance Association transported him to Stony Brook Southampton Hospital.

A woman became unruly at Starbucks last Thursday, just before 6 a.m., and the management phoned for police assistance. The woman told officers she was having trouble with the Starbucks app and had asked for a refund, but that the manager yelled at her. The manager said the customer was the one doing the yelling because she could not process the refund. Police advised the woman to contact corporate headquarters for a refund.

Police found a gallon-size plastic container in the middle of Main Street on Saturday afternoon, and discovered that what appeared to be “bar and chain equipment oil” had spilled out, forming a large puddle. The East Hampton Fire Department chiefs responded with Speedy Dry to absorb the oil.

Officers assisted the driver of a truck that could not pass under the Long Island Rail Road trestle on Accabonac Road to turn around on Saturday evening.


A check for $1,951.46 to the Star Island Yacht Club for dockage and merchandise bounced on Aug. 30. Scott Bohan at the club said an employee spoke to the check writer on Sept. 6 and he said he was sending another check, but the new one never arrived. An officer and Mr. Bohan called the man on Sept. 24, and he said he’d sent another check by FedEx days earlier. It was never received. If the money is not forthcoming, he will face a bad-check charge, police said.

Ernie French of East Hampton received three harassing phone calls on Sept. 26, which he believes are connected to a shouting match he had had with another boat captain in Montauk Harbor the day before. He told police the other boat passed his at a high rate of speed and he yelled at its captain, and the two exchanged words. He did not report it to police, and told them he just wants the calls to stop.

A road sign for “Ditch Plains Road/SR-27” has gone missing. Police noticed the sign was gone last Thursday and informed the East Hampton Town Highway Department. 

Sag Harbor

A 55-year-old woman was ticketed on Oct. 1 at about 5:30 p.m. for walking with a hard seltzer through the parking lot at the Sag Harbor Village Police Department headquarters on Division Street. Kimberly A. Kakerbeck of Sag Harbor received a summons to appear in Justice Court on Nov. 22 to answer a charge of displaying an open alcoholic beverage.


A Springs resident received a threatening text message in Spanish from an unknown number on Sept. 30. The message included a picture of his 3-year-old son sitting on his front porch, followed by several pictures of mutilated bodies and two videos, which said he needed to pay money for speaking to “one of my girls” or the same thing would happen to his family. The man knew this was an ongoing scam and contacted police. He was advised not to respond or send any money.


Salvador R. Amaya Martinez went to police headquarters on Sept. 11 to report a bad check that his former employer wrote to him in April. He is owed $520.44, police said.

A Manhattan man called Wainscott Main Wine & Spirits last Thursday, accusing Chimene MacNaughton of selling him the wrong wine. Ms. MacNaughton said she had sold him a box of wine on Sept. 21. She said she had no problem refunding him for any unopened wine, but wanted the calls, which she found threatening, to stop. Police spoke to the man, who agreed to stop calling.

Thank you for reading . . . 
...Your support for The East Hampton Star helps us deliver the news, arts, and community information you need. Whether you are an online subscriber, get the paper in the mail, delivered to your door in Manhattan, or are just passing through, every reader counts. We value you for being part of The Star family.

Your subscription to The Star does more than get you great arts, news, sports, and outdoors stories. It makes everything we do possible.